•Chapter 83• Don't Break Your Toy

"Glad you could make it." Fury greeted her and shook Y/n's hand. It seemed a bit formal in her opinion. He's known her forever. "Follow me." He took her to what looked a lot like her father's old lab. Three or four people were constantly moving around. They looked like they had no clue what they were supposed to be doing. Running around like headless chickens. "So, you've not been able to crack my code, huh? Is this your way of finally admitting that I might be better than you? Better than your team?" Y/n teased the older man. Call it a Stark trait. Driving Nick Fury over the edge was her specialty. Learned from the best. Nick glares at her from over his shoulder. "Well don't give me that look," Y/n replied. Fury started shaking his head. "Sometimes I forget you're young and annoying." He said. Someone has not had his juice today. "And you are old and annoying. Fury, we would make a great team on TV, don't you think?"
"What kind of program are you thinking of?" Y/n shrugged as she passed him. She turned around to still look at him as they walked. "Something with grumpy old men and bright young women forming a team or something. Like in a game show. Or a soap opera! Fury, we should have our own TV show." Y/n suggested excitedly. Fury gave no response to that. He pointed at the table behind her. The young Stark turned around and looked at the broken object. "So, this is the evil little bugger?" She questioned. Fury gave her a little glance. "Wouldn't call it evil. But yes, it is." He handed a pair of gloves to her.

Y/n recognized that piece. They did fix it together, but Beck made changes to them, making them more destructive than her original designs. "Where did you find this again?" She picked it up and inspected it. After the drone attack on her and Peter, she sent the drones away, in case someone would find them. Not well enough, apparently. This is a piece of one of those drones she used. Maybe it fell off somewhere along the way and when Fury tracked them – or tried to – he found it. "We tried to track down the location of those drones that attacked you and Parker. One of my guys found this little piece. It still has the tracker."
"And you want me to hack into it and find the others?" Fury nodded and pulled out a chair for her. Y/n sat down without even looking back. "We can't get into it." He admitted quietly. Y/n gave him a cheeky grin. "Oh, really?" She teased with a cocky tone. Fury looked back at her, with a glance that assured her he was very close to hitting that smug smirk off her face. "It's okay, Fury, I get it. Only I can get into my software." Fury leaned over her, placing one hand on the table, as she turned away from him. He tried to look intimidating. "That is why you are not allowed to work here. We'll never be able to access anything ever again."
"That's the reason? I thought I just said no because I didn't feel like working for you." In the first months after Tony's death, Fury offered her a job more than once. But, at that time, she had just inherited Stark Industries and was too busy to work for Nick Fury on the side. She barely had time for Peter, there was no way she could fit it all together if she agreed to Fury's offers. "I'll get into it, don't worry," Y/n assured him. Fury gave a slight nod and took a step back. "Not promising anything, though. Not sure if you'll find the others through this." She added. "It's worth a try. Do you need anything else?" Y/n looked around before shaking her head. "No, I think I'll find everything here." She answered. Fury turned around and started to walk away. "Wait, where are you going?" Fury only held up one hand as he continued to walk. "Looking for lost things." Y/n looked at the other people with a questioning look. Looking for Lost things? She shrugged it off and went back to her new toy.

Peter waited for her. All day. Yelena barely spoke a word to him. She disappeared into the other room leaving Peter with his thoughts. His chat with MJ earlier did not make things any easier. He went to her for advice and came back with even more doubts. And he wanted to trust Y/n but there was no denying that there was something strange going on. Peter refused to believe Y/n had anything to do with this, though. Standing in her room right now told him enough. He didn't get a strange feeling from being here. MJ's words would not leave his head, though. It was Keener. Not Y/n. What was MJ even thinking? Peter walked over to Y/n's little desk and sat down. He started twisting and turning in her chair. The pictures that were on display made him smile. When did everything become so difficult and tense?