3.3 - The Imperial Academy makes things difficult

With Mu Zixin's encouragement, Qi Yu took medicine on time every day and worked hard to take care of his body. When he felt better, he would wear linen clothes and stay in the ancestral hall of the mansion, accompanied by the crackling sound of the charcoal fire.

  Staring at the cold tablet, Qi Yu's eyes were filled with tears and his chest ached. However, due to his grandfather's status as a criminal, he couldn't even cry out loud like ordinary people under so many invisible gazes. No matter how bitter he was, he could only hold it in and secretly swallow it down.

  When recalling the time he spent with his grandfather, scenes of his time with the young Huai Hao would occasionally flash through his mind. Even if he tried not to recall them, he could not stop the passage of time from slowly cutting open his wounds, which became the invisible knife that kills people today.

  After more than a month, Qi Yu's body had recovered to a large extent, and his legs finally had no effect on his walking. He did not dare to delay for even a second and rushed to the Imperial Academy to take up his post.

  However, the cold and ruthless eyes of his colleagues in the hospital were like avoiding the plague, as if they were afraid of having anything to do with him. The prying and evasive eyes hurt Qi Yu, but he did not show any of it, and still humbly and kindly greeted everyone who passed by.

  Qi Yu stood in the cold wind for a full hour, and his knees ached so much that he could hardly bear it.

  Suddenly, a tall, thin man with a green mustache on his upper lip walked out of the room, stood in front of him and said with a smile: "Isn't this the new top scholar Ying Shichen? Have you recovered?"

  Qi Yu looked up and recognized that the other person was Lin Maoshi, the head of the Hanlin Academy. He said respectfully, "Thanks to Lord Lin's kindness, I am getting better and am no longer in danger."

  "Well, okay..." Lin Maoshi's smile gradually became meaningful, "But Ying Shichen... I have something I want to discuss with you."

  He stroked his beard, rolled his eyes, and without giving Qi Yu a chance to answer, raised his hand and pointed inside.

  "Look, that position was originally reserved for you, but I heard that you were ill and bedridden for a long time. I don't know when you will be able to come, and I can't let the position remain vacant. So, I will let someone else take your place temporarily."

  When Qi Yu heard this, his heart slowly sank.

  "But you see..." Lin Maoshi's cunning look flashed across his face, and he turned around and continued, "The seat under the window is still empty."

  Qi Yu followed Lin Maoshi's gaze and saw an empty and tattered desk in a corner far away from the crowd and close to the corridor.

  "You will have to stay there for a while... Oh, by the way, I didn't expect you to come back. The monthly charcoal will not be sent until the end of next month, so you just have to bear with it for now." After Lin Mao Shi said this, he strode away.

  Qi Yu obediently and compromisingly bowed towards Lin Maoshi's back, not caring about the treatment of tables and chairs. As long as the court still gave him a place to stay, it was enough. Then he moved forward with a little difficulty.

  Standing still for a long time made the gap between his knees seem to be filled with glass shards. Every time he moved, he felt the shards being crushed and drilling into his bones. Before he finally stood still, it felt like an ice knife was scraping his face.

  Qi Yu looked up and saw a two-finger-wide gap in the carved window, through which the cold wind was blowing. A closer look revealed that the wooden strips at the bottom of the window frame were twisted and stuck, making it impossible to close the window tightly. If he wanted to repair it, he would have to demolish the entire window and the wall.