3.17 - Confrontation

At the command, a gray haze instantly spread through the night sky with sparse stars and a faint moon, and quickly spread out with the wind, like a dense, light-proof net falling from the sky.

  Not long after the gray net enveloped the rebels, violent coughing and choking sounds began to be heard outside the hall. The ranks that had been twisting and struggling through the mist became disorganized and let out painful howls.

  At this time, Qi Yu stepped into the hall under the protection of Yun Zhao: "Prime Minister Duan, please surrender."

  Qi Yu had observed the wind direction for tonight yesterday, and quietly used Nie Ming to transport in a large number of sacks filled with lime. He then asked a familiar eunuch to place the sacks in unnoticed corners such as the roof of the city wall while cleaning for the New Year, and wait for the opportunity.

  The howling north wind carried the lime prepared on the roof, and enveloped the rebels at the right time, in the right place and with the right people, forming an inescapable dragnet that penetrated into their eyes and noses, bringing them intense burning pain.

  After two days of hard work, Qi Yu's porcelain-white skin showed two dark circles under his eyes.

  Huai Hao's heart, which had been beating wildly for a long time and had just relaxed a little, was then filled with a deep sense of heartache... and an indescribable feeling of warmth and emotion accumulated in his chest.

  He had long thought that the harm he had inflicted might never be forgiven in his lifetime, but at this critical moment of life and death, Qi Yu was even willing to sacrifice his life to help him!

  The touch of having his lover by his side ignites a man's will to win quickly.

  If Huai Hao wasn't worried about Qi Yu's safety, he would have wanted to see the face that haunted him all the time.

  However, when the rebels broke into the palace gate and rushed towards him and Qingci Palace in two groups, he felt that all his patience was worth it.

  "Uncle, stop it." Huai Hao calmly stepped down from the dragon throne and approached Qi Yu secretly. "Look, the rebels outside the gate are in disarray. They can't even distinguish between friend and foe. How can we safely escort you out of the palace?"

  Until reinforcements arrive, everything is still uncertain and we still need to be cautious.

  For Huai Hao, the most important thing at the moment is to protect Qi Yu safely, so he must use the slight advantage he currently has to stabilize the Prime Minister's emotions so as not to force him to fight desperately or do anything desperate.

  Duan Wenli listened attentively to the sounds of soldiers killing each other behind him. He had to accept the fact of failure, but he still couldn't believe that his careful and detailed plan was forced into a desperate situation because of just a few bags of lime.

  The charge of treason fell on his shoulders and he was powerless to change the situation. Resentment and anger tormented his reason, urging him to make one last desperate effort. His most urgent task now was to fight for his last chance of survival before the rescue troops arrived.

  However, in a short moment, the troops that came to rescue the emperor outside the palace easily controlled the rebels.

  General Hou, dressed in a shining silver fish-scale armor, knelt respectfully in front of Huai Hao and said, "Your Majesty, I am late in coming to your rescue. Please forgive me." Behind him, the timid Ji Ce also knelt on the ground.