5.16 - Decisive battle

"Seth—"

  Qi Yu ignored the danger and chased the man in the direction he left. After a moment, he was forced back by a hot and fierce air mass.

  The scalding air was like a solid fortress blocking his way, burning the boy's exposed delicate skin and making him feel a burning pain on his face and the back of his hands. The pungent smoke was filled with poisonous gases, choking him and making him cough so hard that he couldn't straighten his back.

  Tears brought out by the smoke filled his eyes, and he no longer needed to hide his inner sadness and fragility.

  Facing a hail of bullets, powerful weapons can increase the hope of survival, and Seth did not hesitate and decisively kept all the hope for himself.

  Qi Yu held the only thing left by the man, enduring the heart-wrenching pain. The man's body temperature left on the gun barrel gradually became cold as time went by. He had never hated his own incompetence and cowardice as much as he did at this moment. He could only passively accept protection and become a burden to others.

  But there is no time for him to experience the separation of life and death.

  He must not let the man down in the slightest for his good intentions and sacrifices.

  With determination, Qi Yu ran as fast as he could in the opposite direction of the continuous gunfire. While running, he even saw ferocious zombies gathering in the direction of the gunfire in the distance. He ran for an unknown amount of time, holding back his tears, and felt that his heart was about to jump out of his throat.

  Finally, he seemed to have found a suitable place to hide.

  However, the small storage space of two square meters and the steel walls around it are enough to withstand the attacks of zombies. There is a window sealed with iron bars on the door to observe the situation outside.

  Qi Yu quickly hid inside and closed the door from the inside, only to find that the room specifically used for storage could not be locked from the inside.

  But he had no choice, as some zombies attracted by the gunfire also discovered him.

  Qi Yu searched around and found a thick wooden stake that could just be used to prop up the door. He also piled all the heavy objects he could behind the door to prevent the zombies from rushing in.

  After finishing everything, the young man crouched in the corner, covered in dust and dirt, holding a light machine gun that was almost half his length, and the sound of his own pounding heart could be heard in his ears.

  The helpless waiting was a painful torture, and soon the zombies came and looked in through the window, revealing their horrible expressions of baring teeth and claws. They howled hoarsely with their bloody mouths wide open, and their purple-black hands bent into strange shapes "banged" hard on the iron door.

  The life-threatening situation right above his head stimulated the boy's nerves, making his muscles stiff, his heartbeat quicken, cold sweat oozing out of his back, and his trembling lips constantly repeating the man's name.

  Not long after, the zombies' repeated impacts caused the door to deform, leaving a hole on the side.

  "!!!"

  Oops...

  Qi Yu quickly leaned his back against the other wall for support, his feet firmly on the door, his hands holding the gun were shaking so violently that he was about to lose his grip.