3.5 - Serve

Threaten?

  Qi Yu stared at Huai Hao's stern face, which didn't seem like a joke. His mind raced and a woman appeared in his mind.

  She has appeared repeatedly in recent memorials. She is a lady from a prominent family who was nominated by the court officials as the best candidate for the empress. She is the legitimate daughter of the current prime minister Duan Wenli and the niece of the empress dowager, and her status is quite noble.

  Such a popular candidate meant that as long as the emperor opened the door to the harem, he would have to make her the empress.

  Perhaps Huai Hao's resistance and delay was due to his unwillingness to accept her?

  "Your Majesty, calm down." Qi Yu said seriously, "Prime Minister Duan's daughter is gentle, kind, and beautiful. She is an excellent candidate for the queen. Considering the consolidation of the country's rule, Prime Minister Duan is a veteran of two dynasties and a close minister..."

  "That's enough!"

  Huai Hao could no longer suppress the anger in his heart, which also brought about the murderous intent from the secret letter. He raised his hand and knocked over the teacup that Qi Yu had placed in front of him.

  The back of Qi Yu's hand was suddenly hit hard, and immediately turned red. The place that was once frostbitten felt a piercing pain, but he just kept silent and didn't show any sign of it. He bent down to pick up the broken pieces of the tea bowl that fell to the ground and said no more.

  A strong sense of resentment inexplicably welled up in Huai Hao's heart. He glared at Qi Yu for a long while, then suddenly pinched his face with his palms and pulled it in front of him, as if he could see what was going on in his mind through these clear and transparent eyes.

  Qi Yu was so shocked by the man's actions that he stood still.

  Huai Hao's face, which was so close at hand, carried the innate majesty of an emperor, like a beast examining its prey, with a strong sense of oppression, making people suffocate. His hot breath fell on their faces, taking away the warmth and making people shudder.

  "Gentle, graceful, and stunningly beautiful?" Huai Hao sneered, "So, Ying Qing, have you ever seen Miss Duan?"

  How can a lady from the inner chamber be seen just by saying so? Qi Yu hurriedly denied: "I have never seen her."

  "Then where did you get this evaluation just now? Did you learn it from those endless admonitions? ... Do you think that you can be complacent and smart, know everything, and that all your speculations are correct just because you pass the imperial examination?"

  The man's low voice was full of danger, and his fingers pressed against Qi Yu's cheek continued to exert force.

  "I don't have..."

  Qi Yu's chin was clamped, his neck stretched out and his head held high, and he couldn't breathe smoothly, making it extremely difficult to answer.

  Huai Hao turned a blind eye to all this, and the emotions that he had carefully suppressed in his heart for ten years burst out like a flood that broke through a dam.

  "You have only read a few more books than the average person. As the grandson of Grand Tutor Ying, you think you can see through the government by what you have seen and heard. You want to use your naivety and stupidity to criticize me. Who do you think you are?"

  Huai Hao's tone was cold, his eyes were like torches, and the long-lost excitement made his blood surge up, causing a headache, and he was absent-minded for a moment. When he suddenly retracted his gaze, he saw Qi Yu's red eyes shining with a moist light, as if he could speak, silently expressing the sadness in his heart.