Hanahaki Disease

(Requested by @scarletmichiko. I'm happy I did research on this before writing this.
Of course, there will be feels. And mention of death.)

   Tord was in his junior year of high school when it happened. He had three friends that he hung out with mostly, two side friends that were like older brothers to him. But, only one of his five friends was more important than the rest. That title belong to Thomas Spaventa, also known as Tom. A punk rock teenager who said 'lame' way too much, wore braces, had terrible acne (like Tord himself), and spiked brown hair that almost defied gravity. Even if he was an almost emo kid, Tord was kind of attached to him. They were pretty close at that point, but slowly started getting into more fights with each other near the end of their year. Which was how it started. Tom and Tord fought more and more, that Tord's previous feelings starts to turn toxic to himself.
He loved Tom to pieces, and desperately wanted to be his boyfriend, but he couldn't. Especially when Tom's own feelings were fading fast with every fight.

   Tord didn't even know that Tom returned his feelings at first. But, as their love faded without them even knowing eachother's feelings, so turned Tord's body. No matter what, he hung onto his love for Tom, hoping that the Brit would somehow, someday, return them.
   One day, Tord called in sick at school, not showing up. He stayed in his room, coughing and throwing up. He guessed he was sick with a normal flu at first, since nothing seemed strange. But, one thing happened. His eyes changed to bright red when he was angry, but, when he tried to do that, his eyes stayed a stormy gray, almost dull.

   Next, came his real worries. He skipped school more thanks to whatever sickness he was getting, and no medicine could cure it. Once, he went to school, but started coughing horribly while talking to Paul and Pat, two of his other friends. They didn't know what to do, completely, until Tord started coughing up something strange. Red rose petals. Tord instantly panicked at that, as his coughing spree cut off.

"What the hell?!?" He screamed, staring at the petals in his hands. Paul and Pat side glanced eachother for a moment.
"I think I know..." Pat mumbled. Tord shot his gaze up at his friend.
"What?!"
"It's a pretty rare and deadly desease. It's called the hanahaki desease, named for its main symptom... you throw up petals and flowers." Pat explained. Tord looked at him, confused.
"How did I get it..?" He asked softly.
"It's only contractable from a relationship. Well, when you love someone and they don't love you back. A one sided love. Do you like anyone?" Paul explained, looking at him, confused. Tord's heart felt like it snapped in two.
"... Tom..." he mumbled. "... of course he doesn't love me back..." Tord mumbled before going into another coughing fit, spewing petals painfully into his jacket sleeve.

Tord did more research on this desease when he got home that day, finding out more about it. It wasn't contagious and it was fatal, unless you had surgery to remove the flowers in the lungs. Somehow, that killed the love for the person, though, or killed love all together, for some reason. Tord didn't want that. Even if he knew Tom didn't love him back and probably never would, he still didn't want to loose his ability to love. He didn't want to seem empty.

Tord decided to ignore it. But, that proved to be the wrong tactic quickly. As he and his friends went into the senior year, his coughing got worse, and he always threw up flowers and petals in the bathroom every day. He started wearing a red jacket instead of his black one so, if he had any petals on him, they would be hidden. He stayed away from Tom, not wanting to fight or bother him too much. One day, the petals seemed to stop coming out in huge amounts, but him and Tom got into another fight, making them just come back to their normal level. Tord was officially diagnosed, told his conditions, but he still refused to do the surgery.
He slipped into depression and kept himself away from everyone, mostly, just hanging out with Paul and Pat more at this point. Since they mattered the most to him at that point and he didn't fight with them.

Nearing the end of the final year of school, Edd asked Tord if he wanted to move in with him, Tom, and Matt. He decided to say yes, even though he knew he wouldn't. He wrote to Tom about how much he still loved him, and what happened, slipping into his locker on a day that he felt extremely weak.

Tord didn't graduate senior year.