9│SCHRÖDINGER'S SHAWN

❝All that glitters is not gold

❝All that glitters is not gold.❞

William Shakespeare

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"'Two roads diverged in the wood and I took the one less traveled by and that made all the difference'," Topanga read 'The Road Not Taken' by Robert Frost to the class.

"Okay, now, what do we take from this poem?" Jonathan asked her.

Just as she was about to answer she was cut off by snoring. Shawn and Cory were asleep.

"Yip-yip-yip-yip-yip," Cory mumbled in his sleep, "Yip-yip-yip-yip-yip."

"Interesting in my class, Mr. Hunter handles the yipping," Mr. Feeny sighed as he walked in.

Mr. Feeny and Mr. Turner stood over the two with stern looks. Cory was the first to wake up.

He jumped in fright when he saw the two staring down at him. His eyes widened and he turned to Shawn in a panic. "Shawn. Shawn, it's both of them."

Shawn's eyes slowly fluttered open and he frowned. "Oh no. Now I don't know which class I slept through," He whined as rubbed his eyes tiredly.

"What's the difference?" Elena chuckled, "You miss all of them."

"Oh, yeah," He nodded and smiled, "Thanks, babe."

"Mine, Hunter," Jonathan snapped with a sigh, "Remember 'The Road Not Taken'?"

"A remarkable poem in which the poet tells us that we make choices in life and each choice puts us on a new road that can have a profound effect on our destinies," Mr. Feeny explained, knowing Shawn didn't have a single clue about the poem.

Shawn's brows furrowed and he frowned. "Mr. Feeny, how does a poem about a guy on two roads affect our lives when half of us can't even drive?"

Mr. Feeny patted Shawn's shoulder and smiled sarcastically at Jonathan. "Isn't he fun?"

"I like to think of him as job security," Jonathan shrugged.

"You might be teaching way past retirement then," Elena joked.

"Mr. Matthews, what was your last choice in your life?" Mr. Feeny wondered.

"I just got a job for Christmas break. I'm a gopher for Little Pauley's restaurant," He grinned.

"And I got myself a soft, cushy union job at the docks," Shawn added proudly, "This year, I'll finally be able to buy nice presents for my friends and family."

Christmas had always been a touchy subject for the Hunter boy. Ever since the sixth grade when everyone else had easily pitched in $5 for their teacher's class present and he couldn't. He was glad to finally be making some money so he could be like the other students come Christmas.