3│THE CUSTODY BATTLE

❝​​It turns out freedom ain't nothin' but missin' you, wishin' I'd realized what I had when you were mine

❝​​It turns out freedom ain't nothin' but missin' you, wishin' I'd realized what I had when you were mine.❞

Back to December | Taylor Swift

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

Topanga sighed, knowing the look on her friend's face all too well. "You saw Shawn, didn't you."

"He was there. I had no choice," Elena defended herself with a shrug.

In an effort to keep from killing or kissing him, Elena made a pact with Topanga to stay away from him for the time being. She needed to sort her feelings out without Shawn throwing them all out of whack right in the middle of all her process.

"No! No, no, no, no. We cannot go through this again," She pleaded desperately, "I almost needed therapy for that breakup. I'm pretty sure that breakup caused irreparable damage to Cory."

"Awe, peaches," Elena cooed sympathetically as she patted her arm comfortingly, "He came out of the box like that. He was the only defective brillo head they missed in the great recall of '82."

"I'm being serious, pumpkin," Topanga whined.

"It's fine. It's over. I'm done," She promised earnestly.

"You know what? That is exactly the thing that your mom would say when she left your father every few years. You would think it was the piles of money that brought her back, but no-"

"It was the money," Elena deadpanned, leaving no room for discussion.

Topanga frowned. "Okay, yes but that doesn't prove my point so we're ignoring that part. Look, the point is you and Shawn have that kind of love that steals a piece of your heart. And, pumpkin, until you fill it with somebody new, you're just gonna keep going back for more."

Elena rolled her eyes. "It's over," She repeated sternly.

"Okay, then tonight we have fun. Look, Shawn broke your heart, but you have to get back out there. You know, start dating, live your life," She begged, wanting to help her friend.

"I am living my life, and a man doesn't define it," Elena said confidently.

Topanga smiled proudly. "Ooh, valid point. To freedom."

Elena held up her chai latte. "To freedom."

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"Why are you smiling?" Cory asked with furrowed brows as he joined Elena and River.

"What? Can't I just be happy?" She shrugged as she took a sip of her third chai latte of the day.

"Shawn tripped and fell on the stairs," River explained for her before he stood up and grabbed his things, "My next class is starting, I'll see you guys later?"