15 ║ THE MEETING MISUNDERSTANDING

❝Wherever you go, your memories from the place you grew up in always remain special

❝Wherever you go, your memories from the place you grew up in always remain special.❞

Guru Randhawa

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"I just realized this might be the last time we'll play poker together," Elena sighed sadly.

The four had taken up playing a weekly game of poker as a way to meet up and catch up. Cory hated it but that was just because he lost every week without fail. And they'd tried doing other things but it never worked out. Cory still couldn't keep quiet for an entire movie, Elena still wasn't a fan of the outdoors, and all three of them still had a life-long ban from the mall in place.

"Oh, don't say that," Topanga brushed her off, not wanting to think about that at all.

"Well, you're talking about taking that job in London," She reminded her as she sneakily took a peek at Cory's cards.

"Oh, we'll still get together," Topanga reassured her as she glanced at Shawn's cards.

"I guess," She shrugged, "It's just..."

"What?" Cory asked when she trailed off, still trying to figure out how he kept losing.

He didn't know about his very obvious tell and the fact that he made it very easy for Elena to look at his cards.

"I just always had this fantasy," Elena admitted, "The four of us staying here, growing old together. You know, our grandkids coming to visit, me staying gorgeous while the three of you age horribly," She smiled innocently.

Topanga laughed loudly at that. "You know she's actually dreamed about that."

"Of course, she has," Shawn chuckled warmly as he glanced over at her lovingly.

"No, seriously," She insisted, "I'm gonna miss this so much. I'm gonna miss us. It's like we just got back to being all together again and now we're not."

"It's funny. Some people never get to know the folks next door. They share a fence and nothing else. And we've shared everything," Cory mused with a fond smile at all the memories they'd shared together.

"Yeah," Shawn nodded, nostalgia hitting him hard too, "Remember how we all met?"

"The zoo."

"Pre-K."

"The sandbox."

All four of them answered in unison before they looked around at each other with wide eyes. "Wait, what?!" They said in disbelief.

"We all met on the first day of pre-k," Elena said decidedly, "Topanga and I were sitting next to each other, and then at lunch some girl was being mean to Shawn so I ruined her lunch."

"No, no, no," Cory shook his head, "We all met in the sandbox at the park. Now, years ago, I was in the sandbox with Topanga, and then she started going after Joey Hutchinson," He threw his wife a glare, "I don't have to tell you how that made me feel."