19│THE COUPLES ONLY PARTY

❝It's sad when people break up

❝It's sad when people break up.❞

Pete Townshend

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

〚𝐓𝐖𝐎 𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐇𝐒 𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑〛

It had been a good two month for the Martinez family. Sofía hadn't kicked her husband out of the house he'd paid for once in the last two months and Elena was ecstatic. She was beginning to let her guard down again at home, believing that maybe things were getting better. She knew her parents still fought, she wasn't young or naive enough to think that all their problems had simply gone away just because Sofía hadn't kicked Theo out recently. She was just happy with the change in pace.

She always told herself that 'hope is for suckers' because she was an avid believer in the idea that when you hope for something, you get disappointed. So she found joy in what was real instead of what could be real. She ignored her mother's jabs at her father —and his replies which were equally snarky albeit more subtle simply for his daughter's sake— when they had breakfast before she went to school, she tried to cut back on skipping class to make her father happy, and she spent her free time between hanging out with her friends and father.

Although, there were times when both her mother and father were just too petty for her to handle. Like that time her mother had forced her to go shopping together.

"Hey bug," Theo smiled when she and Sofía walked into the living room with all their shopping bags, "Where have you two been?"

"Uh, mom bought me these new shoes. Aren't they pretty?" She smiled awkwardly at the obvious tension between her parents.

"Oh, she bought you shoes. With my money," He laughed as he threw his wife a pointed look, "So officially I bought you shoes."

"No, Theo, I bought her the shoes," Sofía glared at him.

Theo stood up to face Sofía and the two glared at each other. "Get in the car, Lena. I'm going to buy you something."

Elena rolled her eyes as she watched the two. "Uh, actually papi, I have to clean up my room-"

"Do you love your daddy?" He turned to her with a goofy pout.

She huffed before she smiled and dropped her shopping bags. "Yes, fine, let's go."

"Ugh!" Sofía huffed as she watched the two trail out of the living room.

"Stephanie and Todd invite you to a dinner party at Todd's place. Couples only," Cory read the invitation the three had been given earlier that day at school, "Shawn, Lena, that's discrimination. It leaves out a lot of people who have committed themselves to the single life. People like you, me, and Elena."