1│THE ABUELITA

❝The happiest moment of my life was probably when my daughter was born

❝The happiest moment of my life was probably when my daughter was born.❞

David Duchovny

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

1989 | Nine Years Old

Elena frowned when she walked into the house and noticed how messy it was. Usually, it looked like it hadn't even been lived in with how clean and tidy it was. But right now it looked like a hurricane had ripped through the place.

She slowly maneuvered herself across the grand foyer and smiled when she managed not to fall over. She frowned when she could faintly hear her father's voice yelling from the living room. She'd never known him to be one to yell, he'd always bit his tongue even when her mother taunted him and laughed.

She wondered what had happened to get her father so angry. She really hoped it wasn't anything she had done because she'd never had him scream at her before the way he was now and she didn't want to know what that was like.

She slowly crept towards the yelling and ducked behind a pillar when she got close enough to see her father. She could now hear exactly what he was yelling about as Happy frantically tried to calm him down.

She'd been doing very well at hiding from them, she always was good at hide and seek, at least that's what her mother told her. What Sofia failed to mention is that the reason it took her hours to find her daughter is that she'd often ignore the seeking part of the game. Whenever it was the nanny's day off and Theo wasn't home Sofia tended to get Elena to play hide and seek so she could spend an hour or two reading her magazine in peace.

Elena gasped when she noticed tears streaming down her father's face when he finally turned in her direction. She'd never seen her father cry, up until that very moment she'd always just thought parents never cried. The shock was enough to have her topple over and into view.

She slapped a hand against her mouth when she realized she'd just blown her cover as Theo and Happy immediately fell into silence. She froze in her place and averted her gaze, pretending to be a statue.

"Sweetie, you know just because you're frozen doesn't mean we can't see you," Happy admitted as he gave her a soft smile.

He breathed out a quiet sigh of relief. He hadn't wanted Elena to see her father like this but he knew if anything could make Theo feel better it was his daughter.

She smiled sheepishly as she clambered off the floor and slowly trudged towards them. Before she could ask if what she'd heard was true her father pulled her into a bone-crushing hug.

Elena wrapped her arms around him and craned her head to look at Happy. She raised her brows but he just smiled sadly and motioned for her to give her father a squeeze.