Prologue I

AUGUST 3RD, 1977. I don't remember much from that day which is ironic because it happened less that a year ago. Perhaps I just wanted to suppress all the trauma and forget all of my past.

I shut my eyes and leaned my head against the shower wall while the water drops ran down my body. But no matter how hard I tried, or how high I got, I would still hear the screams. The memory of the dagger stuck in my stomach and the cruel look in his eyes as he was telling me that if he can't have me, then no one can.

What I do remember is trying to run, trying to escape but not being able to move because I could feel the cold metal of the dagger all the way in my spine. The image of my father coming into my room after the fire started, and trying to get me to move.

I remember hitting my head and falling down the stairs, remember the cries of my mother after the realized all the doors and windows were locket. And what's never going to leave my memory is the way that Elliot clutched onto my leg, as if he was depending on me to save him. Save all of them.

And I still tasted salt on my tongue knowing that I was in fact, the reason they were in that position. That I was the foolish one for agreeing with the wrong people, and that my wish to protect Sirius didn't just cost my life.

Everything went black after I felt the fire on my flesh, making me scream in even more pain as my arms got covered with burns.
And the next thing I remember after that is blood rushing down my throat and a pair of brown eyes that belonged to the man who took my choice in this matter away from me, looking down at me.

After that night, after he forced me to drink human blood and made me this monster. After he didn't let me die like I begged him to. I became this, people called it being a heretic, and in my head it was just another way to torture someone.

All I ever wanted was a normal life. And that dream was torn away from me in a way so cruel that it still made me shiver at the thought of it.

I slowly moved my hand so that my palm was flat against my stomach and moved it over the smooth skin. There was no scars, not on the outside at least, but I would always be aware of what that dagger cost me. Of what I could have had if only I didn't pry into other people's business.

I let out a sob that was muffled by the water, all the emotions I kept bottled up for Merlin knows how long finally spilling. The hate I had for myself for abandoning my friends in the time of war, the guilt for being partly responsible for the death of my family.
I heard the doors being open but I paid no attention to it. It was probably Liam coming to ask me how can we possibly know if water is wet, again.

"Y/n . . . " I turned around, shocked to see Diego. Perhaps I would've made a comment about inviting him to join but the look he hat on his face told me everything, something bad had happened.

"There is something you need to hear," He started but stopped to swallow as if what he was going to say pained him.

"Diego?" I asked stopping the water and grabbing a towel. "What's going on? What happened?"

"Its your friends," I saw his lips moving but after hearing him say, "its James and Lily. They are dead, Y/n."
I wasn't able to function properly. I wanted to scream but when I opened my mouth no words and no sound came out of it. 

Instead I realized that my legs couldn't support me anymore. My knees hit the cold floor as tears were uncontrollably coming from my eyes. Diego slowly came over to me and knelled down, wrapping his arms around my shoulder and pulling me into his embrace.

NOVEMBER 1ST, 1981. It's the day that I will never be able to forget. Because its the day I knew that I lost everything I still saw as worth my while. As soon as Diego told me that James and Lily died I rushed out of the bathroom the moment I was able to stand again.