Chapter 12: dance partners

"This is fucking stupid," I snapped at the boy in front of me.

"Its not fucking stupid." James said mimicking my voice, "Its called waltz."

"Thanks but I think I will call it 'I am gonna punch you in the face if you ask me to try to dance with you again Potter' how does that sound?" I asked James letting my hair out of the ponytail I put it in earlier.

"I am not that bad." James tried to defend himself.

"You stepped on my foot twice, you stepped on your own feet tree times, you feel backwards over a coffee table and you dropped me onto the ground when you tried lifting me up." I said, listing all the things that happened in the past 30 minutes.

"Come on Y/n/n your my last hope." James said sitting down in a chair, "I really need to learn how to dance and winter ball is next week."

"Well why didn't you pay attention when Minnie was teaching us how to dance last week?" I asked glaring at him.

"Because I was busy planning a prank to pull on Snivellus." James said bluntly not even a hit of shame or guilt in his voice.

"And you see thats why I don't care." I replied giving him a sarcastic smile.

"But who will help me if you won't?" James asked, starring at me with puppy eyes.

"Dunno Potter," I replied, "Go ask Sirius to help you. I have to study for potions."

"Do you know what this is about?" Harry asked me.

Right now all Gryffindors were sitting on the chairs in some kind of small dancing room with Minerva in the middle, wondering whats going on. But I already knew what this was about.

"Of course I do Harry," I leaned closer to him and whispered in his ear, "I'm just not going to tell you."

"Attention please!' Minerva called out to students who were talking with eachother without any sense of how she would say it 'harmony' or without any sense of respect.

"You may be wondering what this is about. Well today you will be learning how to dance for the upcoming Yule Ball." She started talking once the students were silent "Yule Ball is traditional Ball held in honor of the champions of the Triwizard Tournament."

bla ... bla.. bla... dancing like ladies .... bla ... bla... bla. must have dates .... bla.. bla ...bla ... champions doing an opening dances ... bla ... bla ... bla.... let our hair down? ... bla ... bla ...bla...

"So with that being said we can now begin our dancing lessons. Mr Weasley please step up you will be my dancing partner." Minerva said looking directly at Ron.

Ron nervously got up and walked over to where Minerva was standing in front of her.  She fixed her robes and looked at him, "Place your right hand on my waist."

"What?" Ron asked confused.

She repeated again, placing her arms on his shoulders. Someone wolf-whistled and Ron tried to move his hand but Minerva stopped him.

Flich started the music and then moved to the side patting his cat. Minerva lead Ron and they looked lie they were dancing, barely. And terribly.

'If Sirius was here to see this he would piss himself from laughing.' I thought looking at the poor terrified Ron and Minerva. 

"Now I ask you all to find yourself a dance partner." Minerva said tuning towards us, "And dance."

I looked over to Harry who was silently sitting staring at his lap a blush creeping up to his checks. He looked up, his eyes meeting mine and I smiled at him.

"Uhmm . . . dance with me?" Harry asked mumbling under his breath.

Jokes on him, vampires have super hearing.

"I would love to." I smiled at him getting up and grabbing his free arm, since one of his arms was hurt from the first task.

We walked over to the middle of the hall and he nervously placed his hands on my waist while i placed mine on his shoulders.

"Okay so you go one step forward one step back one on the left and then one on the right. Understood?" I explained it to him seeing him struggle.

"I think so," he replied.

We began dancing and it was going smoothly. I must say Harry is a much better dancer than James was, and thank havens for that.

"Your much better dancer than your father was." I whispered to him leaning a bit closer.

"W-was he that bad?" Harry asks stuttering.
And once again I was met with that feeling in the pit of my stomach. As much as I thought Harry was nice and cute, and as much as it flattered me that he liked me. I would be bad for him, but even tho I warned him, Harry didn't seem to agree.

"Oh trust me he was. He stepped on my feet, he stepped on his feet, he even tripped over the air." I said giggling while some of the memories filled my mind.

"Y/n, Harry you two are doing wonderful." Minerva said coming over to where Harry and I were.

"Thank you professor." Harry said.

"Thanks Minnie but I guess i owe my fancy waltz dancing skills to you. And to Regulus, for putting up for me for so long." I said giving Minerva a smirk while she frowned because of the nickname, but honestly she should know me better than that to think I would stop.

"Thank you Y/n." Minerva said to me, "Just this time, don't make any music changes on your own account."

"Of course not." I replied giving her an 'who me? no' kind of smile.

She opened her mouth to say something but there was a loud noise of something hitting the ground and she turned around and went to see what it was.

"What did McGonagall mean by: no music changed on your own account this time?" Harry asked me as we continued to dance.

"I"ll tell you sometimes," I replied smiling at the boy in front of me, "but not today."

As we continued to dance I couldn't help but stare at Harry. Yes he looked similar to James, but he was so much different. His hair was more silky, and his eyes would glisten while he was laughing or smiling. His scar was barely visible under the hair that was falling over his forehead.

And for the first time I think I saw Harry as more that James's and Lily's son, who I couldn't let my self grow feelings for. I saw him as an incredible boy who suffered to much for his age. I saw his as a boy who kept standing where others would have fallen. I saw him as a funny, cute, strong, stubborn and handsome young man.

Handsome?

All this time I spent telling myself that I couldn't like him.

That I won't like him.

And I didn't even realize it, but I was already in too deep.
I already liked him. And there was going back now.