Chapter 33: family tree of the Blacks

I walked into an empty big room

I walked into an empty big room. It had drawings of people on the wall. Suddenly a door creaked and I looked down to see a house elf dragging a box.

"Isn't it Harry Potter the boy who defeated the dark lord?" The elf asked looking up at me slowly.

Sirius walked into the room and glared at the elf. "Kreacher enough."

The elf stopped and stayed silent for a moment, before saying "Of course Master."

Kreacher left the room, Sirius turned to me and offered me a small smile. I never noticed it until now but he and Y/n have a lot in common. That was when the words I almost missed before started replaying in my head.
'Excuse me. Vix and I are too much alike, and they said the opposites attracted.'

Was he attracted to Y/n? That would explain the way he looked at her that day I found them in his room after the trial, but I felt like there was so much more to the story than just him being attracted to her.

And if he was - what would that mean for me and Y/n. I knew she cared about me, but maybe there was a part of her that thought I was too immature to be her partner.

"This was my parents house you know?" Sirius said pulling me out from my thoughts.

"You grew up here?" I questioned looking at my godfather.

"Yeah." Sirius replied, "I offered it to Dumbledore as the headquarters for the Order. Probably the most useful thing i've been able to do. This is the Black family tree. My deranged cousins .... I hated the lot of them. Then we have my parents with their pureblood mania."

He traced the portraits with his fingertips until he stopped at a burned spot. "My mother did this after I ran away. Charming woman, I was 16."

I was quiet for a second, processing the information Sirius just told me. "Where did you go?"

"To your dad's." Sirius replied. "I was always welcome at Potter's."

In a blink of an eye Y/n came into the room. She stood next to Sirius, an arm around his shoulder - even trough he was taller than her and it was hard for her to do so. She looked at him with a mixture of smirk and a goofy grin. "Really? Aren't you forgetting someone, my love?"

"Ah yes." Sirius sighed dramatically turning his attention from Y/n to me. "I also stayed at Vixen's. I'm proud to say that her parents liked me very much, I was like the second son."

"Liked you?" Y/n chuckled. "They bloody loved you. And I never told you, but the first dinner while you were staying with us was when you convinced my mother you're a better choice for me than Reggie."

Then it hit me. Y/n never mentioned her parents before.

"Y/n/n, you never speak about your parents. Where are they now?" I asked her.

The smile she and Sirius had dropped immediately and was replaced by an identical sad expression. "They are dead." Y/n said bluntly. "Both my parents and my younger brother."

Merlin, I felt like such a shit for asking her. I should have just left the topic alone.

"Hey, don't be sorry." Y/n said walking up to me and pulling me in a hug. She buried her face in my chest and I wrapped my arms around her. "You didn't know. Its fine."

"You know Harry." Sirius said trying to change the theme. "You remind me a lot of your parents."

"I'm not so sure." I admitted. "When I saw Mr Weasley getting attacked I wasn't just watching. I was the snake. And afterwards in Dumbledore's office there was a moment when - when I wanted to .... This connection between me and Voldemort, what if the reason behind it is because I am becoming more like him? I just feel so angry all the time. And what if after everything i have gone trough ... something's gone wrong inside of me, what if I am becoming bad?"

"I want you to listen to me very carefully Harry." Sirius said holding my hands. "You're not a bad person. You are a very good person who bad things have happened to. You understand that? We all have both light and dark inside of us. What matters is the path we chose, because that's who we are."

Just then somebody knocked on the door, it was Hermione.
"Guys we need to go." She said.

Sirius smiled at me. "When all of this is over we'll be a proper family you'll see." He hugged me before going out of the room.

Y/n grabbed my wrist to stop me from leaving. She pulled me in another hug before pulling away and kissing me. I kissed her back wrapping my arms around her waist. 

"Don't ever think you are a bad person." She whispered in my ear, and then pulled away smiling at me and offering me her hand. "Now come on Potter Junior, we don't wanna be late do we?"

I was aware of it all along, but this is the moment that I truly ever knew that I was undeniably and unconditionally, in love with Y/n Lockwood.