Chapter 46: amortentia

Potions. Only time I actually studied for Potions was when Severus was tutoring me in third year, and a little bit in sixth year. Other than that, Potions were hell for me.

But here we are, me and Hermione standing in the Potions classroom with the rest of Gryffindors and Slytherins.

Harry and Ron walked in the classroom and Slughorn immediately turned to them.
"Ah Harry boy, you've come to join us. And who have you brought with yourself?"

"Ron Weasley, sir." The ginger boy introduced himself to Slughorn.

"I am dead awful at potions, sir. A menace really, so I'll probably just go -" Ron tried to make a run for it but Harry stopped him.

"Nonsense we'll get you sorted out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine." Slughorn said. "Get your books out."

"We haven't actually got our books." Harry admitted. "We weren't planning on taking potions."

"That's fine just get them from the cupboard." Slughorn told them before turning back to us.

Harry and Ron looked at the cupboard then at eachother then back at the cupboard before they both jumped toward trying to grab something from the cupboard.
They came over while Hermione started explaining Amortentia.

"It smells different to each person depending on what attracts them. For example, i smell freshly mowed grass, parchment and ... spearmint toothpaste." Hermione said the embarrassed.

"Excellent." Slughorn clapped his hands together and smiled at Hermione. "Would anyone else like to tell us what they smell? Miss Lockwood?"

Fire whiskey, wet dog sprayed with lavender, and smoke. The kind of smoke that fills the room after you light a cigarette.

That's what Amortentia always smelled like, but this time.
This time there was another smell as well.

I looked down at the cauldron and inhaled. "Pumpkin juice, treacle tarts and broomstick polish."

"No . . . wet dogs sprayed with lavender?" Slughorn asked sending me a smile.

"We're late." I said to James  while we were walking towards potions classroom.

"Tell me something I don't already know." He replied.

We stood in front of the door bickering about who will go in first, finally I had enough of it and opened the door before pushing James inside.
He glared at me and then turned to face Slughorn who looked at us with amused expression.

"Sorry we're late professor. Y/n got lo-" I elbowed him in the ribs and he corrected himself. "We both got lost."

I scrunched my nose in disgust when the smell filling the room reached me. Quickly I spotted Sirius sitting next to Remus and glared at him.

"Sirius when a person tells you that you smell like a wet dog it usually means take a shower. Not spray lavender perfume on yourself. It makes it worse." I commented making some people laugh while others just shook their head too used to my usual shit.

"Thank you Miss Lockwood," Slughorn said, "for telling us what it is that you smell in Amortentia. Now please take a sit, you as well Mr Potter."

"Fuck." I cursed under my breath walking to an empty table in the corner of the classroom. James took a sit next to me and grinned like an idiot.

"If you say anything about 'Blackwood' I will stick my wand so far up your ass you'll be able to taste the wood. Okay?" I asked writing down the notes from the board.

"Okay." James gulped.

"No," I lied with a straight face.

"Sir?" One of the Slytherin girls said changing the subject. "You haven't told us what's in that one." She pointed to a small vial of Liquid Luck that Slughorn hasn't mentioned to them yet.

"Ah yes." Slughorn said. "What you see before you, ladies and gentleman is a curious potion." He unscrewed with which the vial was supported. "Felix Felicis. But its more commonly referred as-"

"Liquid Luck." Hermione said.

"Yes Miss Granger." Continued Slughorn "Liquid Luck, desperately tricky to make. Disastrous should you get it wrong. One sip and you will find that all of your endeavours succeed. At least until the effect wears off. So this is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of Liquid Luck to a student who menages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Dead in an hour. The recipe can be found on page 10 of your books. Let the brewing begin."

I sighed and opened my book, it was the same book i used 20 years ago. And it was still filled with pen written instructions Severus made me remember but i was too lazy, so I just wrote them down.

"Y/n, this however won't be the case for you, seeing that you already proven you can brew this potion." Slughorn told me.

I smiled gratefully and closed my book. "Does that mean I can leave early?"

"No." He replied.

A really uneventful hour passed, the students brewing their potions

A really uneventful hour passed, the students brewing their potions. The potions exploding in their faces. Hermione getting upset Harry is doing it better than her.
Yep, so damn uneventful.

Hermione's hair was all puffed out, framing her face. Finally it was time for Slughorn to test their potions.
"This is perfect!" he exclaimed looking into Harry's cauldron. "So perfect its cleared all."

Hermione who was still looking hopeful at Slughorn now glared.

"Here we are then. As promised." Slughorn held up the vial. "One vial of Liquid Luck."
Harry tried to take it but Slughorn pulled his hand away.

"Congratulations." He smiled handing Harry the vial. "Use it well."
He started clapping and soon the rest of the class joined it, although most of the clapping was sarcastic.

Harry looked at me and I winked at him. He smiled which immediately caused me to smile back.