Chapter XII: Explanation

"What! What are you doing here," Harrison says scrambling to his feet as Salter rushes up next to him. "I just wanted to have a little chat silly," Annabelle says spinning and dancing around. "But but- weren't you trying to kill us the other day," again Harrison says unable to grasp the current situation. "Yeppers but that was during daytime and now it is nighttime so I don't have to fight brother," she says latching her arms around Harrison causing his skin to crawl, as Salter fumes with rage behind him. "B-brother? Also, what does the time of day have to do with anything," Harrison asks before a chair from nowhere is slid under him forcing him to sit down along with Salter.

Annabelle straightens up brushing off her dress preparing to address the many questions, "I Annabelle Kaiser shall explain myself now if you would stop asking so many questions," she declares as she stares daggers at Harrison before giving head pats to Salter for being quiet, only making her fuming silent rage more ferocious. 

"We are both Masters in the Holy Grail War, however, this one is different than any that has come before it. This war focuses on the command seals of each master and the ability to control their servants. When you fought me earlier I am sure you realized I was asking John for his command seals, especially as such a weak master he would be in danger just holding onto them." Taking a breath Annabelle nods to herself in satisfaction for a moment before continuing. "I am a homunculus of house Kaiser, which is why I can only speak to you like this at night. During the day I am limited by the orders they give me whether I want to complete them or not, however, the rock you hit lessened the voices nicely. Due to my soul creation being for this war I was teamed up with another mage I do not even know the identity of as it was beneficial for the two houses we are under to work together or something, I don't really understand that part. This mage is special though as they became one of the first core masters of this war." Annabelle takes a small break again to make sure the two are still following along and once she sees Harrison raise his hand with a question she continues uncaring. 

"There can only be 7 core masters of this war, what makes them a core master is their ability to have multiple contracts with servants," at this line Harrison's eyes go wide though once again before he can say anything his phone begins to ring. Looking down at who it is really quick, he realizes he can't skip out on it, "Ah sorry I got to take this," he says as he rushes away, it is a call from Stella and right now he has to be sure of something.

(The next chapter will go more in-depth with the phone call and more from his perspective)

Not waiting for Harrison to finish Annabelle just continues as if nothing has changed. "The thing about having multiple contracts with servants is that if one is not fit to be a core master they will die in the process of forging that second contract, and there is no way to tell if one is fit before making an attempt. Now Salter I can see it on your face Why are you telling us this, well it's because Salter I need your help. Harrison weakened the connection between my body and my family's house, and I don't want to fight in this war I just want to have a normal family." The last sentence was said with tangible sorrow in her tone as Berserker materializes behind Annabelle to comfort her. "To do this I would need my connection to be completely broken with the house and to get away from the mage I am teamed up with. I would try to do this myself but I am unable to affect my own magic circuits, plus the mage has a constant ping on my location whenever they need." At this Salter stands up, "Well then why are you here, you should go before they find this place," a surprising sternness in her voice.

"Oh yeah, that is probably a smart idea," Annabelle responds taping the side of her head. At this point, Harrison returns from the area he had run off to take his call. "Did I miss anything," he says with a face of relief evident on his face as if pounds of pressure had been alleviated from his spirit. "Y-" Salter attempts to say before Annabelle yells "NOPE!" before crashing into Harrison's chest and giving him a big hug. Harrison looks to Salter for confirmation, all he receives in return is a defeated expression and an audible sigh. "No? But seriously Annabelle is there anything I missed I noticed you and Salter were still talking," Harrison tries to reason with the small child wrapped tightly around him. "Oh look at the time we best be going Berserker before we are pinged," Annabelle proclaims in a suspicious tone before Berserker picks her up and carts her off disappearing into the forest.

"That was incredibly... What did she mean ping," Harrison questions as the events that just transpired catch up with him. Salter shakes her head rapidly as if to shake her thoughts into place before she turns around and extends a hand to Harrison. "Let's unpack all that when we get to the apartment, it is getting pretty late and we still have a patrol to go on and the like." Clasping hands with Salter Harrison pulls himself out of the seat and they begin to head back. "There seriously wasn't anything important I missed," he asked still skeptical. "I guess not," Salter responds resigning not to tell Harrison of the chance of death when forming another contract with a servant, hoping it will never come to that.