Chapter LX: Corner

Everything went black in an instant. Not a creeping darkness but the absence of light, immediately every hair on Harrison's neck perked up as the small breeze couldn't be distinguished from a potential enemy. "Jalter you still there," Harrison called out wanting to make sure he was still near his partner. His eyes darted around the inescapable darkness trying to find anything to latch on to. "I am afraid that is not how this goes Harrison," a familiar voice echoed throughout the darkness. "You and your servant are nowhere near each other anymore, it is just you and me," the voice continued though in the distance Harrison could see through the darkness where like a fog it had dissipated slightly. The figure he saw wore a kimono with a biker jacket over it and had shoulder-length hair. Harrison couldn't make out any of the colors as they were too obscured, with the only exception being that the scariest part of the figure's appearance was the piercing gem-like blue eyes that seemed to look through Harrison.

 Harrison couldn't make out any of the colors as they were too obscured, with the only exception being that the scariest part of the figure's appearance was the piercing gem-like blue eyes that seemed to look through Harrison

------

"Tsk," Jalter clicked her tongue as soon as the world went black. She had no need to call out for Harrison as she already knew they were nowhere near each other, she could tell that much with their connection. She inhaled a sharp breath as she closed her eyes. Closing off her eyes led her to use other senses more effectively just as she read. She could hear the footsteps of her opponent faintly as they ran towards her. With a simple back step and twirl, Jalter dodged the assault and counterattacked. Or that is what should have happened. Alas, instead what occurred was that a knife found its way into Jalter's gut causing her to cough up flecks of warm blood. "That was pretty fast, too bad it doesn't matter how good you are it's already too late for you Jeanne D'arc Alter," a woman's voice rang out in the darkness before the knife was wrenched from Jalter as the woman disappeared once again.

Jalter held a hand to her injured stomach as her eyes snapped open, thankfully the dark fog was clearing, however, all it revealed was that she was still surrounded by identical trees any normal person could hide behind easily. Trying to control herself she thought about what the woman had said. She clearly already knew Jalter's true name and apparently, Jalter was too late. At first, she thought that had to do with the fog but that was disappearing now so she must have been referring to something else. Jalter continued to scan the area and then she found the tree the woman was hiding behind as a small piece of cloth revealed her location stuck to one of the branches' offshoots. As Jalter's gaze landed on the tree the woman walked out from behind the tree swinging a knife through her fingers as if it was as easy as breathing.

She seemed to be the same age as Harrison, relatively petite wearing bleached ripped jeans and a simple hoodie, however, she had a bridge piercing through her nose and big hoop earrings. "Oh no you found me," she teased as she stepped forward. From the way she walked and looked at Jalter, she could tell that this woman was incredibly full of herself and had thought the match was already over. Jalter could also tell that she wasn't a heroic spirit meaning Harrison was probably against her spirit. Jalter wasn't sure whether to be happy or worried, but Harrison is not capable of taking down a servant on his own yet, she decided she will just have to end this quickly.

"Names Jess and as previously mentioned there is no need to fight this is already over, so don't even bother drawing your swords," Jess said as she smirked at Jalter who was indeed just getting ready to unsheath two of her swords. Those threats didn't stop Jalter however as she just leveled a devilish smirk back at Jess as she unsheathed her swords regardless. "So I see we are choosing the hard way," the girl smiled. In a flash, Jalter was on her a whirlwind of metal. She cut through trees and the Earth beneath them like a hot knife through butter, however, she couldn't seem to land a hit on the girl at all. Then just as Jalter thought she had her, Jalter got a swift kick in the jaw sending her flying a little ways away. Jess who was easily evading all of Jalter's advances looked as smug as ever as Jalter regained her footing.

-----

Harrison knew he recognized those eyes. She wasn't a master he could tell that much, but he should be able to recognize most heroic spirits if they come from the Fate verse. Sadly he didn't have any time to really consider who this woman was as she came at him with the intent to kill. He could sense it, see it. Every strike she made was imbued with the intention to apply death as if she was death itself. So Harrison was forced to go on the defensive barely able to keep himself from being skewered only coming away with scratches and nicks here and there. Yet the little wounds he did incur hurt more than some of the larger wounds he had experienced recently as if his body was slowly being torn apart by her knife.

Thankfully the darkness was slowly lifting like a fog. When he saw the jacket in the light for the first time realization dawned on him like a gift from the heavens themselves. The woman had gone for a long strike and Harrison, thanks to his training from Salter, dodged just barely. As each piece of information rang in his head his eyes only widened in panic and fear. The red biker jacket, the shoulder-length hair, the affinity for death, and most importantly the gem-like blue and pink eyes. 

"Ryogi Shiki," Harrison mumbled as Shiki went for another strike cleaving up his chest and aiming for his neck, only narrowly missing, as she cut a sizable gash into his neck.

---------

Hey all, wow has it been a while, I am so sorry. Finals came up on me like a menace and so I had to put this on pause for the time being, but don't worry I am back to it. Speaking of which I want to do something special to make up for it a special of sorts. So if you all could be so kind just comment on which of the cast you would love to see get a spotlight chapter, (ex: Salter, Jalter, Stella, Yor... etc). I will conclude the voting process on 12/20/22 and release the chapter on the 23rd plus any regularly scheduled chapters. With that, I bid you all forwell and see you soon.