Chapter 82: The Beginning Of The End!

"Vilgax...  The conqueror...."  Izuku muttered.

"Izuku.  This guy's no joke.  He isn't just some run of the muck villain and bad guys we've faced before.  He's an alien warlord that's lived for almost a century now, he's known as the most feared conqueror in the galaxy.  Tyrant, dictator, conqueror of worlds, menace to all life, the complete opposite of everything we are and what we stand for...  The symbol of chaos and fear..."  Ren replied.  "He's conquered thousands of worlds in the past and is infamous for leaving no survivors for anyone who may attack him...  Life means nothing to him.  He'll use anyone and anything he can if it meant that he could achieve whatever sick scheme he has cooking in that squid head of his..."

"Why didn't you tell me about this sooner...?"  Izuku asked.

"In truth; I was hoping that I wouldn't ever have to explain this to you...  I didn't want you to have to take this burden on...  I was planning to deal with him...  Long before I ever met you Izuku...  But now, things have changed.  Vilgax...  Vilgax is the Omnitrix's curse.  Vilgax is the ever undying darkness to the Omnitrix's light.  No matter how many times we beat him; he always came back...  No matter what..."  Ren replied. 

"But if that's true...  Then what was different about this time...?"  Izuku asked.

"The day that Ben 10,000 died...  Was the day that bastard Michael Morningstar betrayed all of us..."  Ren replied as he looked away from Izuku and at the shining moon, clenching his fists in anger.  "To make a long story short, things went downhill for him after that year we fought.  He lost everything, his title, the respect of those around him...  Couldn't even make the right decisions during a team match anymore...  And he blamed it all on me...  Eventually, we decided to take the fight to Vilgax once, as a united force to free a solar system in our jurisdiction he was trying to take over.  Michael's squad was one of the main infantries, along with my team..."

"And...?"  Izuku asked.

"None of them made it out alive..."  Ren replied.  "We all thought he was dead...  The bodies...  They were burnt to a crisp, no...  They looked like they had the life sucked out of them...  To the point where we couldn't even identify then, except by the dog tags they had on them.  We found one body that had Michael's tags on them...  Michael tried to challenge Vilgax, despite clear orders to hang back and let me and Ben handle it...  Vilgax didn't spare any of them...  They all..."

"Sensei..."  Izuku muttered as he tried to reach out to Ren, stopping halfway before putting his hand down.  "I don't understand, if Michael was dead, then how did he betray the plumbers...?"

"It was during my 18th birthday...  December 31st, 8 years ago from now...  I should've realized who Michael really was...  But because I didn't..."  Ren said as he began to explain.  "I couldn't save him...  I couldn't save the man who saved my life...  Who changed my life for the better...  And that...  That is something I'll never be able to forgive myself for..."

Izuku stares at Ren with a look of worry as he continues to listen.

"The last mission I went on with Ben...  I still remember it like it was yesterday...  I wish I knew...  That this mission would be the last one I'd ever have with him..."  Ren continued.  "Everything changed after that..."

-8 YEARS AGO-

A side door opens on a camouflaged plumber ship as an 18 year old Ren along with Ben peek out of the open door to see a large facility encased by a circular wall beneath them.

"That the place Sensei?"  Ren asked Ben.

"Yup, that's it alright!"  Ben replied before speaking into his intercom.  "Kev, what's the situation lookin like?"