THE SORTING CEREMOY

*******************************TRIGGER WARNING PLEASE SKIP TO THE END OF STARS IF NOT WISH TO READ*******************

PENELOPE'S POINT OF VIEW
All I felt was the cold air emitted from the room and the echos of laughter. I smelled copper and smoke mixed together in unison. The smell was so over powering I felt it circulating in my lungs.

'Open your eyes' The words kept repeating over and over again in my head almost like a prayer. I was terrified, and I didn't want to die. My body trembled harshly as I opened my eyes slowly. The moment they opened my eyes captured my father's empty eyes. They were lifeless and cold as if he lost all the charm and warmth from them.

I kept staring into them hoping he'd yell at me once more about being a polite young girl. I wished I had listened to him. I wished I was never a bad child, but it was too late for that.

My eyes wandered up a bit to notice my mother hanging there. The ceiling was darkened, so I wasn't able to see her face. The only thing that was visible to me at the moment were just her dangling feet.

My mother was wearing her new pair of shoes. They were a dark shade of burgundy with a little golden heart near the tip of the pointed shoe. My father had bought them for her as a birthday gift. She had worn them as soon as she had opened the box. My father always ravished her with exquisite gifts.

I looked down at my own feet. I wore the same pair, however mine were not pointed. My shoes were rounded and had a strap on the middle of them. My heel was much smaller than hers and the heart was bigger with a carved butterfly in the middle of it.

My mother and I shared the same birthday, so my father always insisted on buying us the same gift. My mother sometimes protested and often found herself angry that I was born on the same day as her. My mother and father loved me. But had a harsher way of showing it to me. Sometimes I couldn't tell what was real and what was an act to save face in front of company.

That's right with all this happening around, I completely forgot my birthday was today. I shook my head breaking from the day dream. As my head turned to the left slightly I let out a silent gasp. My hand quickly going over my mouth and holding it there softly. My twin sisters laid their drenched in blood. There once white silk dresses were now a bright pink and red color.

I felt bad for them, although they were mean to me I still loved them dearly. Elena was the softest of the two. She often helped me in my predicaments and would take care of me when Lucia wasn't looking. Sometimes she would hit Lucia back with remarks when she'd calm me ugly.

The last person I noticed was my brother. He lay face down on the cold cobblestone floor. He was always my savior. He was always the first one to save me from cruel punishments and harsh trainings. He looked out for me even when the rest of them would turn their backs to me. He would even sneak me chocolate frogs when I'd sit alone in the dark. I gripped the bow on my dress as I bit my lip trying to remain hidden.

I needed to save myself, but I did not know how to open the trap door behind me. My father was trying to help us escape, but in the end we would all be gone.

In the basement of our home there is a cabinet that we use for emergencies. It opens up like a normal cabinet. Inside only hung a single coat and some galleons in a pouch. Although the cabinet may look ordinary it had a secret compartment meant for a swift escape. The back of the cabinet opens like a door to lead you outside the back of the home.