18

Jess's pov.....

I wake up at the sound of singing and a kiss on the lips. I flutter my eyes open and I smile at Adam and my smile gets even bigger with Jackson with a cupcake in his hand and Don with a party hat.

Don's ginger hair is a mess under that hat, all the strands are sticking out and also, the hat might be too small. Jackson pulls out a candle stick from his pocket and places it on the cupcake.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you!" They sing in unison and I giggle at Don being off key and Jackson doing the absolute most. Adam lights the candle with a lighter Don gave to him and once the song ends, I quickly blow out the candle.

"Dam, did you make a wish?" Jackson asks, he is clearly upset with me blowing the candle out before closing my eyes or pausing for a wish. I shake my head and shrug.

"I'm good this year. I don't have any wishes currently." I say giggling and Adam takes the candle from the cupcake and passes it to Jackson.

"Get ready baby, we have plans for today." He says as he leans in to kiss my forehead. The pet name gave me enough butterflies in my stomach to cheese like the dork I am.

Chris's pov...

"She's eighteen today." I whisper to myself at the kitchen table. I smile at the cake that sits in front of me and I picture a much younger Jess there. She gives me a big smile and sticks her finger in the cake before being scolded by Maria.

"Don't get caught pudding." I whisper to her and she giggles and blows me a kiss before fading away. I miss her so much, I can't function knowing she isn't under my protection.

When if she decided to move out? I wouldn't let her, I would plead my case on why it's dangerous. She would crumble at the things I've witnessed, she wouldn't last a day out there alone.

"You should go and see her." An angelic voice whispers and I look up to see Ashanti standing in her robe near the fridge. As much as I wanted to rip that fucking robe off and have fun... I'm still mad at her.

I just nod my head and she sighs. I watch her small frame make its way to me and I try my best to control my heart rate. I meant what I said about my daughter, I just can't help but regret pulling off my ring. My fingers felt naked without it.

"What do I have to do for you to love me again Chris? I can't handle this silent treatment act you're putting on!" She yells in frustration and my heart breaks at the hurt in her voice. I shrug my shoulders stubbornly and poke a fork into the cake.

"Who said I didn't love you anymore?" I ask as the realization of her claim hits me. Have I been that distant for her to think I didn't love her? She lowers her head and makes her way out the kitchen with no words.

My heart hurts at the sight of her like that. Maybe I have taken it too far. We haven't spoken to each other for a little over a month now. I think she gets why I was angry and instead of being immature, I could talk about it with her.

"Ashanti, come talk to me love."

Adam's pov.....

"You got everything ready?" Don asks me for the hundredth time. I tighten my lips into a thin line and give him a thumbs up. He nods and quickly pushes the bouquet of roses into my hand.

"I'm not giving these to her Don. This is the cheesiest shot I've ever seen in my life." I say and he gives me a glare before punching my arm.

"Jess, we have to get the day started!" Don yells and the sound of a door opening and shoes smacking my floors echoes. It felt like forever but when she came into view, I had to clench my jaw to keep it from falling.