One Hundred and Thirty Nine

Johnny slowly opened his eyes, they fluttered open and he squeezed the hand in his, it felt familiar, before his eyes closed once more. He heard his name being called, so he squeezed again. If that's what he needed to do to hear his Angel then that's what he would do. He slowly opened them once more and saw the most beautiful view, his wife, holding a baby. It can't be their baby, because this baby was huge. Massive in fact, James was a small thing. "Oh Johnny." Lexie said as she began to sob. His eyes widened at her tears. "Why was she crying? He was so delighted to be awake, he couldn't bring himself to cry about it. Travis rushed in and saw his boss laying in the bed with his eyes wide open and shouted for a nurse who rushed in followed by a doctor. "Mr Depp... welcome back. Can you hear me? Can you feel this?"

After what felt like a million questions, the oxygen mask was removed from Johnny's face as his eyes scanned the room to find his wife. "Lexie." He said. His voice was incredibly croaky. "Here... hang on." She grabbed a bottle of water and a straw that a nurse had left and managed to hold it whilst still holding the baby in her arms as Johnny slowly sipped. He stopped and began to speak again, his voice was still hoarse but almost back to normal. "Oh Johnny, I'm so glad you're ok." "Darling.. what happened?" "You don't remember?" Lexie questioned and Johnny just shook his head. "I remember we were driving and that's it." "Oh Darling, you were in a car accident, well somebody hit your car. You've got internal injuries and bleeding. You've got broken ribs and a broken wrist, you've been unconscious since they operated." Johnny's eyes widened in shock before he turned his head on the pillow. "And who's this?"  Lexie's eyes widened. "This is James." "Noooo our baby is just about to turn 7 weeks.." "Johnny, you've been unconscious for over two." The man took a deep breath. "I've lost two weeks?" He said holding back tears. "It's ok though sir, you're better now, you didn't miss much." "I've lost two whole weeks of my son's life! Look how much he's grown Travis." Lexie's eyes widened once more as she looked down at her baby, she wasn't sure if she had seen much change but then again she saw James every minute of every day so would she be able to tell? Johnny closed his eyes and she knew he was emotional. She gently went to turn and place James in the pram. "No please... please can I hold him?" Johnny asked timidly. "Darling he's your son. You don't need to ask." Lexie said as she gently placed James on Johnny's chest. She held the baby's weight until she knew he wasn't causing her husband any pain. "Hey little man." Johnny whispered. He ran his finger down the baby's cheek. "You probably don't remember me do you?" Johnny said emotionally. "God you've grown, you must be doing so well. I bet your Mummy has taken such good care of you hasn't she?" Johnny was mainly talking to the baby, as Travis looked at Lexie, he held up his phone and the woman nodded before refocusing her attention back to her husband and baby.

An hour later, a neurological consultant had ran some tests on Johnny and he was declared ok. He was propped up with a number of pillows as he was unable to sit up fully by himself due to his broken ribs and he had barely let James leave his position on his chest. "Darling, he must be feeding well. He's almost double the size." "Well he is doing ok.. he's mainly nursed as he's been with me the whole time here. Apart from on Monday he had his first vaccinations and mum gave him a few bottles that evening so that I could sleep." "I missed his first vaccinations?" "I needed him to have them.. they were already overdue and I knew we had spoken about it. I'm sorry." "God don't apologise darling. I'm just sorry you've done it all by yourself." A nurse arrived in the room to check Johnny's vitals again. "Rest is important Mr Depp... and it is now the early hours. Are you sure you don't want to get some sleep?" "I think I've slept enough over the past few weeks don't you?" He chuckled before stopping due to pain. "Don't we know it!! This one here is committed I'll give her that. If it wasn't for your two other charming children I reckon her and your baby would have been camped out right beside you every second." Johnny's eyes went wide as the nurse left. "What does she mean? You've not left?" "I couldn't leave. I didn't want you waking up alone." "Oh darling... you've stayed?" "Not every night.. I wanted to, but I got outvoted by the children and Stephen and Gina.. most nights though. That pram is a lifesaver." Holly smirked knowing Johnny chose it. "You knew I would come back to you right? You never gave up?" "I wanted to, I really did, but hey I can't tackle this world by myself." Johnny nodded before stroking his son's hair. "I can't wait to get home." "We can't wait to have you home. I'm pretty sure Jack has written every essay that he's been assigned in the hope you'll be awake to read them all." Johnny smiled, "thank you for holding the fort."

An hour later, Lexie hadn't meant to but in her usual habit she had curled her legs under her in the arm chair and drifted off to sleep. James was still on Johnny's chest as the man watched his wife. She had left to visit the toilet a while ago and Travis had told him the full truth of the extent Lexie had gone to for him. He couldn't believe somebody loved him as much as she did. Lying beside him, she looked so peaceful, but also tired. He had seen that the moment their eyes locked. She was exhausted.