Chapter 265. Weak Or Strong, Is That Really The Question?

Alice Mars's Point Of View

" Well, how did that make you feel?"

A familiar voice calls to me as I feel the warm salty tears leave my eyes.

" I- It hurts..."

" Yes, well that's what you did to your sparring partner. And from what I understand, you then said something like " the Princess can do whatever she wants!", or something like that."

" I..."

" You just didn't want your Father and I to know? Yes, I thought as much."

My Mom... Her bright yellow eyes were always filled with warmth. Her light pink hair was flowing in the wind of that spring day. This was when I accidentally hurt my sparring partner's wrist during my first sparring session. I thought I would get in trouble, so I tried to use the fact that I was a Princess to silence everyone who saw what happened. I thought I had to be perfect for Mom and Dad's sake... I was wrong of course. They've always just wanted me and my siblings to be happy.

" But Mom... I can't be weak..."

" Weak? This sounds more like you don't want to get into trouble. That sounds more like fear rather than strength."

" But... *sniff*"

My Mom looked at me with that look that all parents can give their children when it's about something important. I couldn't handle it and started crying.

" No buts, Alle."

I looked at my Mom with tears filling my eyes, she wasn't going to accept anything less than the truth. After crying for what seemed like hours, I finally broke and told my Mom what happened.

" I was trying to parry his blade, but I missed and whacked his wrist..."

" And why would you, a beginner think that it would be a sign of weakness to miss a parry?"

" Because the other kids would laugh at me again..."

Mom started to rub my head gently.

" Just because people laugh at you, it doesn't mean you're weak. And you're only 4 years old. People are going to laugh at you every now and again in life, while that could be a problem if we were in another country, we're here in Bestia in Canidae of all places. A bit of laugher is expected, who put these ideas in your mind that everything needs to be so serious? Was it when you were in Felidae instead?"

" I... I just didn't want Mom and Dad to be sad that I'm your daughter."

She looked at me with a mix of relief and confusion. The rubbing of my head became more and more gentle. She hugged me tightly before whispering in my ear.

" Alle, we'll never be sad that you're our daughter, no matter what you do. All we want for you is to be happy. Don't you remember why we let you start training so early in the first place?"

I raised my head up from my Mom's chest and answered her question as we looked at each other.

" Because I wanted to get stronger..."

" That's right, it was a good reason. Now tell me, does someone hiding the fact that they did something wrong, sound like something someone who's strong would do?"

" ... No..."

" Right."

My Mom began to rub my head a bit rougher as I told her the truth.

" How about we go and apologize to the boy tomorrow, okay? That's something that a strong person will do. Admit when they're wrong, okay?"

" Okay."