The echo of the wild || Mabel [Hooper] • part 2

Mabel navigated the dense undergrowth of the forest, the events of the hidden chamber still fresh in her mind

Mabel navigated the dense undergrowth of the forest, the events of the hidden chamber still fresh in her mind. The old beaver's sacrifice weighed heavily on her heart, but it had also ignited a fierce determination. She had to continue his mission—to uncover the truth behind the darkness plaguing the animal world and restore the lost harmony.

As she ventured deeper into the forest, she noticed the air growing colder, the trees more twisted and barren. The vibrant life that had filled the forest earlier seemed to have withered away, leaving behind a landscape that was dark and foreboding.

A rustling sound caught her attention, and Mabel quickly crouched behind a bush, her instincts on high alert. A group of animals—a fox, a raven, and a snake—emerged from the shadows, their eyes glowing with the same unnatural red light as the wolf she had fought in the chamber.

"They know we're here," the raven croaked, its voice filled with malice. "The humans are meddling again."

The snake hissed in agreement. "We should eliminate her before she becomes a threat."

Mabel's heart raced. She knew she was outnumbered, but she couldn't let them succeed. Silently, she began to back away, but a twig snapped under her paw, and the animals' heads snapped in her direction.

"She's here!" the fox snarled, baring its teeth.

Without hesitation, Mabel turned and bolted through the forest, her small body weaving between trees and underbrush. The animals gave chase, their growls and hisses growing louder as they closed the distance.

Just as she felt them closing in, Mabel spotted a narrow crevice between two rocks. With a final burst of speed, she dove into the gap, her body just small enough to squeeze through. The animals snarled in frustration, unable to follow her.

Panting, Mabel pressed herself against the cool stone, her mind racing. These creatures were organized, intelligent, and filled with a deep hatred for humans. But why? What had happened to turn them against her kind so completely?

As she caught her breath, a voice echoed through the crevice, soft and mournful. "You're not safe here, little one."

Mabel looked around, her eyes wide. "Who's there?"

A faint light appeared at the far end of the crevice, revealing the figure of an owl perched on a branch. Its feathers were dull and ragged, but its eyes were wise and filled with sadness.

"I am Oren," the owl said, his voice heavy with age. "I've been watching you, Mabel. I see you're trying to uncover the truth."

Mabel nodded, stepping closer to the owl. "Yes. But I don't understand. Why are these animals so hostile? What happened?"

Oren sighed, his wings drooping. "It's a long story, one that began long before you or I existed. The balance between humans and animals was once sacred, a delicate dance of respect and understanding. But as humans grew more powerful, they became arrogant. They took more than they gave, and the animals suffered."