A new heroine || Gwen [Spiderman Across the Spider-Verse]

The city lights of New York shimmered below as Y/n stood on the edge of a rooftop, her heart pounding in her chest

The city lights of New York shimmered below as Y/n stood on the edge of a rooftop, her heart pounding in her chest. She was still getting used to the feeling of the mask clinging to her face, the web-shooters strapped to her wrists, the overwhelming sense of responsibility that came with her new identity as Spider-Girl. But what weighed heaviest on her wasn't the powers—it was the hole left by her broken family, a loss that haunted her every step.

A soft thud came from behind her, the faint sound of someone landing gracefully on the rooftop. Y/n didn't need to turn around to know who it was.

"Hey," Gwen's voice called out, gentle but strong, her silhouette framed against the night sky as she approached.

Y/n sighed, keeping her eyes fixed on the city below. "Hey."

Gwen—Spider-Woman from her own universe—had been the first person to reach out after Y/n's life had been flipped upside down. When the bite had come, it hadn't just brought powers; it had brought chaos. Her family, already fractured, had fallen apart completely. Her parents were gone now, in one way or another, and Y/n was left to fend for herself in a world that had always felt too big. Now it felt even bigger.

Gwen stepped up beside her, her white and pink suit blending into the moonlight. "You don't have to do this alone, you know."

Y/n's jaw tightened. She had heard it before—the well-meaning words, the attempts at comfort. But nothing filled the emptiness of loss. "I'm fine," Y/n muttered, but her voice betrayed her. It was shaky, uncertain.

Gwen crossed her arms and leaned on the railing, her mask retracted so her face was visible. Her blue eyes were filled with understanding, not pity. "I know what it's like to lose people. It sucks. And it doesn't get easier, not really."

Y/n finally turned to look at Gwen, her eyes heavy with exhaustion and grief. "How do you do it?" she asked quietly. "How do you keep going?"

Gwen's expression softened, and for a moment, the weight of her own experiences flickered across her face—memories of her father, of Peter, of the countless struggles she'd faced in her own universe. "I won't lie to you. It's hard. There are days when it feels like the world is falling apart, and nothing makes sense. But I keep going because... that's what we do. We keep moving forward."

Y/n swallowed, her throat tight. "But what if I can't? My family... they're gone. I don't even know who I am anymore."

Gwen stepped closer, her hand resting gently on Y/n's shoulder. "You're Spider-Girl now. But you're also Y/n. And that part of you—that part that's broken and hurting—that's just as important as the part of you that fights crime."

Y/n blinked back the tears that threatened to fall. She hadn't expected Gwen to be so understanding, so real. "I thought being Spider-Girl would fix things. Make me stronger, make the pain go away."

Gwen shook her head. "It doesn't work like that. Being a spider-person doesn't erase the pain. If anything, it makes it harder sometimes. But it also gives you something else—a purpose. You have the power to help people, to make sure others don't feel the kind of loss you're feeling right now."

Y/n stared down at her hands, her fingers trembling. "I don't know if I'm ready for that. What if I mess up? What if I let everyone down?"

Gwen smiled gently, her voice steady. "We all mess up. I've messed up more times than I can count. But that's what makes us human, Y/n. You're going to make mistakes, and you're going to learn from them. And you're not alone. You have me, and you have the others. We're a team."

Y/n felt a spark of hope flicker inside her, though it was faint. She wasn't sure if she believed in herself yet, but Gwen's words made it feel just a little more possible. "How do you do it?" Y/n asked again, her voice softer now. "How do you keep holding on when it feels like everything's falling apart?"

Gwen hesitated for a moment, her eyes distant as she considered the question. "I remind myself why I fight. I remember the people I've lost, and I honor them by protecting the ones I still have. The pain never goes away, but you learn to carry it."

Y/n nodded slowly, the weight of Gwen's words sinking in. The pain of her dysfunctional family, the loss, the chaos—it wasn't something she could just leave behind. But maybe, just maybe, she could find a way to live with it. To use it as fuel for something greater.

Gwen took a step back, giving Y/n space to breathe. "You've got what it takes, Y/n. You wouldn't be here if you didn't. And when you're ready, we'll be here for you—every step of the way."

Y/n looked out at the city again, the lights twinkling like stars against the darkness. For the first time in what felt like forever, the city didn't seem so big. So overwhelming. With Gwen by her side, she could almost imagine a future where the pain didn't crush her, where she could make a difference.

"I'm ready," Y/n whispered, though she wasn't sure if she fully believed it yet. But the words felt like a step forward, like the first crack of light breaking through the darkness.

Gwen smiled, a knowing glint in her eyes. "Good. Because this city could use another Spider-Girl."

With that, Gwen extended her hand, and Y/n took it, the connection grounding her in the moment. Together, they shot their webs into the night, swinging into the open air, the wind rushing past them as they soared between the skyscrapers.

Y/n didn't know what the future held, but for the first time in a long time, she felt like she didn't have to face it alone. Gwen was right—she was Spider-Girl now. And maybe that was enough.