Coming out || Bridget [Descendants: The Rise of Red]

Y/n sat on the edge of her bed, staring at her phone, her fingers trembling as she gripped it tightly

Y/n sat on the edge of her bed, staring at her phone, her fingers trembling as she gripped it tightly. The message she had typed out sat there, unsent, glowing softly on the screen: *I need to talk to you guys about something important.* Simple, direct, but it felt like the heaviest thing in the world.

She had been thinking about this moment for months. Maybe even years, if she was honest with herself. The countless times she imagined sitting down with her parents, her heart racing as she told them something they had never expected to hear. That she wasn't just their daughter—she was a part of the LGBTQ community, and she was dating Bridget, the most kind-hearted and accepting person Y/n had ever known.

But despite Bridget's unwavering support and her constant reminder that love was love, Y/n couldn't shake the paralyzing fear gripping her. What if her parents didn't understand? What if they were disappointed or angry? What if they couldn't see her relationship with Bridget for what it truly was—something beautiful, real, and important?

The thought of her parents' faces twisting in confusion or even disapproval terrified her. Y/n had always been close to her family. They were loving, sure, but she couldn't help but wonder if that love came with conditions. They had never openly discussed LGBTQ topics, and she had no idea where they stood on the matter. She could be walking into a storm she wasn't prepared for.

Bridget, in contrast, had been nothing but encouraging. Y/n remembered how Bridget always saw the good in people, how she believed that love could conquer anything, even Uliana's harsh judgments. Bridget's optimism was one of the reasons Y/n had fallen for her in the first place. But right now, in this moment, it felt impossible to channel that same hope.

As she stared at her phone, Y/n's mind raced back to the countless times she and Bridget had talked about coming out. Bridget had already been through this with her own family, and while her experience had been difficult, in the end, they had accepted her for who she was. Bridget's voice, filled with love and patience, echoed in Y/n's head: *"It's okay to be scared. It's okay if it doesn't go perfectly. But you deserve to live your truth."*

Y/n's heart ached with the weight of it all. She had never lied to her parents, but this—this was different. She wasn't just hiding a secret. She was hiding a part of herself, a part that had become central to her happiness. Bridget wasn't just her girlfriend; she was her rock, her confidante, her safe space in a world that often felt overwhelming.

And yet, the fear wouldn't go away. It clung to her, a shadow that darkened every possible outcome. What if her parents thought it was just a phase? Or worse, what if they rejected Bridget entirely, dismissing her kindness and love simply because she was a girl?

Y/n sighed, feeling the weight of her secret press down harder than ever. The room felt stifling, and she rose to open a window, letting the cool night air wash over her. She glanced outside, catching the soft glow of the streetlights, and for a moment, her mind wandered to all the times she and Bridget had spent walking down those streets hand-in-hand, laughing, talking about their futures—futures where they didn't have to hide.

The thought of Bridget brought a small, bittersweet smile to Y/n's face. Bridget was patient, always telling Y/n that she didn't need to rush. *"We'll do this together, whenever you're ready,"* she had said. But that didn't stop the gnawing guilt. Y/n hated that Bridget had to be kept in the shadows, as if their relationship was something to be ashamed of when it was the exact opposite.

Taking a deep breath, Y/n unlocked her phone and tapped on Bridget's name in her contacts. She needed to hear her voice, to steady herself before she even thought about talking to her parents. Bridget picked up almost instantly, her warm voice a soothing balm to Y/n's nerves.

"Hey, love," Bridget said softly. "What's going on?"

Y/n hesitated for a moment before responding. "I think I'm going to tell them... about us."

There was a brief pause on the other end of the line, followed by Bridget's quiet encouragement. "You don't have to do this alone, Y/n. I'm right here."

Tears welled up in Y/n's eyes, her emotions too tangled to sort out. "I'm so scared, Bridget. I don't know how they'll react. What if they don't accept us?"

Bridget's voice was gentle but firm. "Then we'll deal with it together. You don't have to face that fear alone. But Y/n... you deserve to live authentically. To love freely."

Y/n wiped away a stray tear. "I don't want to lose them."

"And you won't," Bridget reassured her. "No matter what happens, they're your parents. They might need time, but they love you. And I'll be here every step of the way, I promise."

Hearing Bridget's unwavering support made something inside Y/n shift. The fear was still there, but it was quieter now, more manageable. With Bridget by her side, she felt like maybe—just maybe—she could do this.

"Thank you," Y/n whispered, her voice thick with emotion.

"Of course," Bridget replied softly. "You're the bravest person I know, Y/n. I love you."

"I love you too," Y/n said, feeling a little stronger with each word. She ended the call, her heart beating fast but steady. She wasn't ready to tell her parents yet, but she was closer. Closer to living her truth, to standing beside Bridget not just in secret but in the open.

And when that moment came, Y/n knew Bridget would be there, right beside her, no matter what.