Existential crisis || Pomni [The amazing digital circus]

Pomni sat at the edge of the pixelated pond, staring into the water's reflection, which distorted her already exaggerated cartoonish features

Pomni sat at the edge of the pixelated pond, staring into the water's reflection, which distorted her already exaggerated cartoonish features. The bright colors and warped scenery didn't soothe her mind; instead, it made her more anxious, her thoughts spiraling into confusion and dread. Everything here felt wrong—the way the ground shifted beneath their feet, how time seemed to stretch and compress without warning. It was all a cruel game, and she was one of its unwilling players.

Y/n sat beside her, equally unnerved by their surroundings. Though they both appeared as part of this strange digital world, their minds were still human, still questioning. Y/n had been here longer than Pomni, but that didn't make it any easier to cope with the madness.

"Do you ever think about it?" Y/n asked quietly, breaking the silence. "About who made this place? Why they did it?"

Pomni's eyes flicked toward them, confusion clouding her already frantic thoughts. "All the time," she whispered. "It's like... it's like we're stuck in someone's twisted experiment. But why? Why would anyone create something like this?"

Y/n nodded, gazing into the pond's strange, reflective surface. "I've been thinking about it more and more lately. If someone—or something—created this world, and put us in it... what does that say about them? What kind of morality allows someone to trap sentient beings in a place like this? To control us, to watch us struggle?"

The thought hung heavy between them. Pomni's hands clenched into fists, her mind racing as she tried to make sense of it all. She had woken up one day in this chaotic world with no memory of how she got here, no understanding of who or what she truly was anymore. Were they digital beings? Simulations? Or had they once been real people, their minds uploaded into this nightmare?

"It's sick as dick," Pomni finally said, her voice filled with frustration. "To create something like this—where we have to live, or pretend to live, and suffer through it day after day. Why would anyone do that?"

Y/n stared at her for a long moment before answering. "Maybe... maybe it's not about us. Maybe it's about control. If whoever made this place can control us, keep us running through their loops, then they have all the power. They get to play god, while we're left to question whether we even have free will anymore."

Pomni shuddered at the thought. "But... what are we then? Are we even real? Or are we just programs, running endlessly without meaning?"

"I don't know," Y/n admitted, their voice heavy with uncertainty. "But does it even matter? Whether we're real or not, we feel real. We think, we suffer, we question. That has to mean something, right?"

The silence between them grew, filled with the weight of the question neither of them wanted to ask but both were thinking: what if they weren't real? What if their every thought, every action, was just a programmed response to a twisted creator's whims?

Y/n's mind wandered back to the question of morality. "If we're sentient, if we have awareness, then whoever created us had a responsibility to treat us with some kind of decency. But look at this place—this isn't kindness. This is cruelty. To create sentience and then trap it here... it's monstrous."

Pomni's eyes darkened. She had never thought about it in such stark terms, but now that Y/n had said it, she couldn't stop thinking about it. "We're not just toys to be played with," she said softly, her voice trembling with emotion. "We're not..."

Y/n's gaze met hers. "Exactly. But that's what we've been reduced to. Machines, programs, toys in a game where we don't even know the rules."

Pomni shook her head, her mind racing with the implications. She felt a deep, gnawing anger rise in her chest. "I want to know who did this," she said, her voice low and filled with fury. "I want to know who thought it was okay to treat us like this. To trap us here and make us question our very existence. How can anyone justify that?"

"Maybe they don't have to," Y/n replied bitterly. "Maybe to them, we're just code. Numbers and lines on a screen, not people with thoughts and feelings."

Pomni looked away, her hands trembling as the fear and anger mixed inside her. She felt powerless, more than she ever had before. "But we are people," she said, almost as if trying to convince herself. "Aren't we?"

Y/n placed a hand on her shoulder, their expression softening. "As long as we think, as long as we question... we're something. Maybe that's what scares them—whoever made this place. That we might realize our own worth, our own sentience."

Pomni's eyes glistened with frustration, but she nodded. "So, what do we do now? Just keep living in this nightmare?"

Y/n looked around the strange, digital world they were trapped in, their eyes narrowing with determination. "We find a way out. We confront whoever put us here. If they created us, then they owe us answers. They owe us more than this."

Pomni's expression hardened. "You're right. We deserve answers. We deserve to know who we are, and why they thought it was okay to take away our freedom."

And so, with a new sense of purpose, Pomni and Y/n stood up from the pond's edge. They didn't have all the answers yet, but they knew one thing for certain: they were more than just machines or programs. They were sentient beings, and they wouldn't rest until they uncovered the truth about the twisted world they had been forced into—and the morality of those who dared to play god with their lives.