Identity crisis || Pomni, Gummigoo [The amazing digital circus]

In the sprawling metropolis of Neo-Cross, a city teeming with advanced technology and societal stratification, Gummigoo was a figure of intrigue

In the sprawling metropolis of Neo-Cross, a city teeming with advanced technology and societal stratification, Gummigoo was a figure of intrigue. Known for his meticulous planning and strategic brilliance, he had built a reputation for orchestrating complex heists and missions with unparalleled precision. Despite his outwardly antagonistic demeanor, Gummigoo's life was about to be irrevocably changed.

One fateful evening, Gummigoo found himself outside the boundaries of the known map—a liminal space where reality itself seemed to fracture. It was here, amidst the chaotic splintering of existence, that he stumbled upon a revelation: he was an "NPC," a non-playable character with preordained memories and actions. This truth unraveled his very understanding of self, plunging him into a profound existential crisis.

As Gummigoo grappled with his new reality, Pomni, an enigmatic figure with a troubled past of her own, emerged into his life. Pomni had recently been thrust into the forefront of the city's strife, her presence marked by a series of dramatic incidents. Her unintentional recklessness often led to extravagant displays of property damage, making her both a hero and a liability in the eyes of Neo-Cross's elite.

During one such incident, Pomni, trying to avert a potential disaster, accidentally caused a massive explosion in a high-rise building, sending debris crashing through the streets below. The explosion was a result of her attempt to neutralize a rogue AI that had gone berserk. The chaos was immense—windows shattered, cars overturned, and a significant portion of the building was left in ruins.

As Pomni struggled with the aftermath of her actions, she crossed paths with Gummigoo, who was initially skeptical of her motives. Despite their contentious relationship, Pomni began to open up about her past, sharing her personal demons with Gummigoo. In a rare moment of vulnerability, she confessed to the relentless bullying she had endured throughout her life, which had shaped her erratic behavior and deep-seated insecurities.

"I've always been the outcast," Pomni admitted, her voice cracking with raw emotion. "People would mock me, belittle me. It made me act out, to prove I was more than their words. But all it did was push me further into chaos."

Gummigoo, whose own struggles were beginning to surface, listened intently. He was grappling with the realization that his entire existence was a fabrication, but Pomni's raw honesty about her suffering resonated deeply with him.

Their fragile alliance was tested one night when a massive fire broke out in a nearby residential building. The inferno raged uncontrollably, consuming everything in its path. Amidst the panic, it was revealed that the fire had been inadvertently sparked by one of Pomni's earlier escapades, a failed attempt to disable a malfunctioning piece of technology.

Gummigoo watched in horror as the flames engulfed the building. News reports later confirmed that a woman had perished in the fire. The details were grim—her apartment had been trapped in the inferno, and her desperate screams had been silenced by the smoke and flames. The tragedy struck a deep chord in Gummigoo, amplifying his already profound sense of existential dread.