Sherman (Otis x Orchid)

(Otis x Orchid)

It was just another typical day at the squad. Orchid was being her usual sassy self, which came in handy when she purposely annoyed her favorite person, Otis. "Burn," she yelled at him, after he had opened a plain, white box she handed him. 

"Orchid, go away," Otis ordered simply. 

"Okay," she shrugged before skipping off singing, "La la la la la."   

She had done the same prank on him a previous year, but it never got old for her. She suddenly stopped when she heard the ringtone for her badge phone. 

"Hello," she asked, resting her opposite hand on her hip. 

"Yeah... Are you sure... When... Okay...," she finally agreed, hanging up, and just naturally clipping her official, Odd Squad phone to her uniform again. 

She stared at the floor as she tried forcing herself not to cry. She bravely walked all the rest of the way through the hall of doors, through headquarters, and finally up to Ms. O's office. 

"Orchid, I already heard the news. I'm sorry," Ms. O spoke, her expression full of sympathy. 

Orchid just stared at her as she masked every negative emotion she had. 

"You can take the rest of the day off, if you want. Actually, you can take more days off if needed," Ms. O kindly offered. 

"No, I just came up here to ask about the next case," Orchid fabricated. 

"Orchid, it's okay, if you're upset...," started Ms. O, but then the feelings were spilling out of Orchid in the form of anger. 

"No! I'm fine! I'm Orchid, and I'm awesome, and I don't need to take even a day off, because...," she tried to finish, but the words got stuck in her throat. 

She exhaled shakily as she composed herself, finally saying it, "Because my grandpa died." 

Ms. O shot her another sympathetic smile, before Orchid stormed out of there, her dark brown hair flying behind her. 

 "Hey Orchid. No more April Fool's pranks for the day," wondered Otis, since she usually got in as many as possible. 

She just trudged slowly past him though, her head lowered, since she honestly didn't hear him, or anyone for that matter. 

"Orchid," repeated Otis, knitting his eyebrows together, before following her. 

"Hey," he called, gently touching her arm. 

"What's wrong," he questioned next. 

"Nothing. Now get your hand off me, Sherman," she snapped, pushing him away before continuing her dragged out steps.

"Where's Orchid," Otis asked Ms. O after a few days, after he rushed into her office. 

"She's at the funeral," Ms. O simply responded. 

"Funeral," echoed Otis in surprise. 

"Yeah, her grandpa passed away recently," Ms. O added. 

"That's why she was acting so... not Orchid," he finally finished. 

"Yeah. It's been really hard on her. I insisted that she take a day, or more off, but she refused," Ms. O explained. 

"Do you know where the funeral is," Otis requested softly. 

"It's at the funeral home, that's near Oak Street," Ms. O pointed out, even showing the picture on the screen behind her desk.