Looking For A Change (Ms. O x O'Duffy)

(Ms. O x O'Duffy)

"O'Duffy open the door," shouted the young girl, who was also the boss.

"But the booby traps," protested O'Duffy. He was fighting against any impulse to display the worry he felt for her.

"O'Duffy open the door," Ms. O requested just as loudly.

"But it's my birthday." He might as well see if she would actually wish him a happy birthday, even if it wasn't that time of the year at all.

"Happy Birthday! Now open the door!"

His eyes widened slightly as he finally pressed the correct button, even though no one else noticed there was concern written deep within his brown eyes.

Eventually he couldn't take it any longer, and he raced to where he knew the four members would be. Olive, Otto, Oscar, and Ms. O were on a mission to turn off the security system in headquarters, since he had forgotten the code to do that himself. There was a button that controlled everything beneath Ms. O's podium upstairs.

He gasped when he saw the frozen girl before him, the block of ice didn't even show any signs of melting in the room temperature.

"Ms. O," he wondered, but she blinked fiercely as though it was a warning. That's when he spotted the white and blue squares going down the hallway.

"One of the booby traps did this to you," he questioned, which she closed her eyes once to confirm.

He couldn't fathom how frigid it must be in there, with the frost forming on her dark eyelashes.

"I'll go get help," he offered.

He hated how he didn't feel comfortable sticking around, as another agent chiseled at the frozen substance, only the boss's head was above the frozen particles, as Olive, Otto, and Oscar shared juice boxes.

As soon as the coast was clear, and the person in charge of helping had left to get a bigger tool, O'Duffy snuck to where Ms. O was.

"O'Duffy," she echoed. He noticed that her shoulders were now visible, and it had already been an hour.

"Wow, that must be some thick ice," he commented.

"I know," she dragged out slightly, annoyance interlaced in her voice. "What are you doing here?" Her face was scrunched up into confusion.

"I had to see you, Ms. O, about my birthday..."

"O'Duffy I know that it's not really your birthday," she said simply.

"Wait? You do? Then why did you wish me a happy birthday?"

Before words could come out of her opened mouth, the tube operator had slinked away, embarrassed to be seen conversing with her by anyone, including the trained security.

It was quite awhile later, and all of the tube operators had just realized there were others in their profession, encouraging them to list demands from Ms. O.

O'Duffy requested a new keyboard, but he doubted they would all get what they wanted.

He was in for a pleasant surprise though, because the following morning he walked into the blue lit room to find a keyboard beneath his panel, although it had a bright yellow ribbon tied around it. Attached to it was a small, purple gift tag that red in black letters, "Happy Birthday, O'Duffy." The special smile that stretched across his face was rare, and he had no clue that a certain silhouette was hidden close by from view.