Mistletoe (Otis x Olympia)

(Otis x Olympia)

"I cannot make my own cake," Olympia stated glumly, the pile of sloppy icing and mushy batter almost falling off the plate.

Otis scrunched his face up slightly as he looked down at the disastrous dessert.

"What am I going to do, Otis?! Olive's birthday is tomorrow! And I promised I would make the cake for her party." Olympia sat down on a stool nearby as Otis smiled weakly at her.

"Hey, maybe I can help. I may have made a cake or two before," he reluctantly admitted, his arms stuck behind his back.

"Really?" The instant her chocolate brown eyes lit up, he felt all warm and special inside.

"Yeah. It's easy as long as you follow the recipe," he shared.

"That's what I did," she pointed out.

"Oh." He felt stupid for saying that now, wishing he could suck the words back into his mouth. "Uh... Let's try something else. Everyone likes birthday cookies, right," he hesitantly questioned.

"But where would we put the candle," Olympia wondered.

"We can make like a tower thing, and the cookie on top will have the candle."

"You make it sound so easy."

"It is. Come on," Otis kindly encouraged. He tilted his head in the direction of the Odd Squad cooking counter. "Okay... So, we need unsalted butter, sugar, a large egg, vanilla extract, flour, baking soda, and salt."

Olympia happily retrieved all of those ingredients, using her chin to keep the large stack in place, before carefully placing them on the counter's surface.

"Oh, and we'll need cookie cutters too. This is a recipe for sugar cookies," Otis noted.

"Where did you get that?" The redhead squinted her eyes in thought/confusion.

"That's not important..." He did not want to admit that he carried around various recipes at all times. He was a bit shy at confessing his special talents. It took him ages to be comfortable with people knowing how he could dance, or climb certain things.

Olympia shrugged before setting down the jar filled with cookie cutters. "All I could find were these."

"These are Halloween," Otis observed in exasperation.

"Look! Otis! A star." She proudly held up the shape with five points. "Maybe we can use these, since Olive is like a star."

"Or we could make them Christmas themed cookies. It is Christmas in a few weeks."

"Otis! You're a genius! I love Christmas, and I'm sure Olive does too! I mean, who doesn't love Christmas?! There's caroling, and t.v. specials. Oh! And Ms. O is in a super good mood, and there's trees to decorate, and snow, and..."

"Olympia!" Otis figured he better interrupt her before her rambling got worse.

"Right. So, we need to make about 1,000 cookies," she spoke.

"1,000 cookies?!" Otis sounded completely shocked, his mouth hanging open slightly as he looked at her in disbelief.

"I'm surprised we don't need more. There's a lot of Odd Squad guests for this party."

"Okay, so we'll need to calculate how to make this recipe for 1,000." Otis then tapped on his fancy, red watch, the screen popping up as he did the math.

"Don't forget the icing," Olympia commented.

Otis looked up and into space, worry painted across his face. "No one said anything about icing."