To Hell And Back...: Part 1

Sam POV

Dean and Cas got back from their hunt and Jack stayed back at a the bunker, saying he didn't feel well as the rest of us went on a hunt in Illinois.

There had been animal maulings almost every night and from what it looked like the police were trying to keep what was happening under wraps, saying there weren't many people hurt and there was just a rabid dog on the loose, but we dug a little deeper and did a little illegal hacking into their system and found police reports that said otherwise. The maulings were bad, the victims bodies ripped apart by something a whole lot worse than a rabid dog or any animal, it seemed more like a pack of dogs had done this, so we were thinking hell hounds.

The thing we couldn't get was why they were coming almost every night to pick off one or two people.

We drove to the very successful town of Glencoe and as we drove through the street we didn't see anyone.

"It's like a ghost town... How many people did you say lived here?" Dean asked as he drove.

"As of two years ago, eight thousand nine hundred." I said as Jae looked out her window next to me in the back seat, there was nobody anywhere.

We parked outside their public safety office to see if any officers were inside but it was the same story, no one.

"Where the hell is everyone?" Dean asked as we walked out onto the sidewalk in front of the public safety office.

"No idea... But where would so many people go?" Cas asked.

"Well, it's not like they were all picked off by hell hounds, there aren't any bodies lining the street." Jae said.

"Could it be the Croatoan virus? I mean, if they all just disappeared without a trace then it would make sense." I said.

"Then why the animal ravagings?" Cas asked.

I shook my head, looking up and down the empty and eerily quiet street.

"I don't know." I said.

We got back in the car and drove around for a while, looking for any sign of anyone but we found nothing.

After that we went to get some food at a local grocery store.

We parked the car and went inside.

"So you just want to take whatever you want? " Jae asked Dean as he stuffed a bag of chips in his jacket and grabbed a case of beer.

"It's not like they'll miss it." Dean said.

Jae shrugged but looked a little guilty, she and I put together as much cash as we had between us and left it on the register to make up for taking what we needed, or in this case, whatever Dean wanted.

Dean grabbed a whole refrigerated pie and Jae and I loaded her backpack with what we might need, bags of jerky, some water bottles, dried fruit, trail mix, anything that wouldn't go bad and was at least somewhat good for you.

Dean had Cas follow him around and used him as his own walking shopping cart, loading his arms up with junk food, beer, snacks, and anything else that looked good to him.

We walked out to the car again and cas dumped Dean's stash in the backseat on the floor as Dean opened the pie he got and dug in with a plastic fork he got inside.

He looked at us as we all stared at him.

"Hungry much, ass hat?" Jae asked him.

He put another large mouthful of pie in his mouth and looked at her.

"Yeah, starving. Deal with it." He said through his large mouthful.

I scoffed to myself softly and shook my head to myself as I wrapped an arm around Jae's waist, pulling her a little closer to me as we looked around.

"Where would they go... It just doesn't make any sense." She breathed softly as she put a hand in mine.

I shook my head to myself, just as confused as she was.

It was getting dark, the street lights coming on on their own with a set timer.

Cas walked over to a newspaper on the sidewalk several feet away from us and crouched down to pick it up.

Jae stepped out of my arms to go stand next to him and read the paper over his shoulder as I looked over at Dean who was still eating his pie, looking content as he shoved mouthful after mouthful in his mouth and chewed.

I rolled my eyes to myself and looked back at Jae and Cas.

A low growl started rumbling from the sidewalk in between Jae and Cas and Dean and I.

We all stopped, all of us hearing it.

The growl came again and a loud snarling bark echoed into the air. A hellhound was standing in between the four of us, separating us.

We all stood stock still, Dean slowly reaching for the door handle to the drivers side door as we listened, not able to see the hell hound without the glasses we put in holy fire.

Another hell hound joined the first and a third did too, all three of them growling threateningly at us all.

The door to the back seat of the Impala was open, I just had to be fast enough to jump in and close the door but I stopped, looking up at Jae, she looked at me and nodded, knowing I was afraid for her safety and didn't want to leave her out in the open, but with her nod she told me to get to cover inside the car without her.

I looked at her, nodding myself softly as I prepared to jump in the car on Dean's signal.

Just before he was about to throw the drivers side door open and give me the signal to jump in the sound of another hellhound jumping up onto the roof of the Impala sounded right next to me. I stopped, I could feel it breathing heavily right next to the door.

I stood stock still as Dean looked back at me, there was no way I'd make it in the Impala without losing my head now.

We all looked at Jae as she raised a hand slowly to get out attention.

She pointed to herself and pointed back with her thumb behind her and Cas, down the sidewalk opposite us. She then pointed to me and Dean and back behind us the opposite way. We knew what that meant.

"On my signal, run." She said quietly, none of us wanting to set off the hell hounds.

Dean and I nodded and so did Cas.

Jae put her hand to the back of her belt and pulled out her pistol, taking it off safety and pointing it at where we heard the three hell hounds separating us.

"What are you doing!?" Dean hissed at her.

"Just run." She whispered back.

She cocked the pistol slowly and then fired at where she thought she heard the first three hell hounds. The shot hit one and it yelped in pain and we all took off running, Dean and I running the opposite way of Cas and Jae, sprinting as hard as we could.

"God dammit, your wife can be a real bitch, Sam!" Dean hissed back at me as we booked it down the sidewalk.

He dropped his pie on top of the Impala as she fired the shot.

"And she's always the one saving our ass's, Dean." I said back as we kept running.

Her gun shot and direct hit to one of the hell hounds had made them all chase her and Cas, but it had also put them in direct danger, I'd tell her just how that risky move made me feel when we found her and Cas, hopefully both of them in one piece.