With Family Like This...: Part 4

Jack POV

Jae had been thrown through the basement door and I looked back at the Lane family safe in the kitchen where I'd salted the windows and doors, blocking the poltergeist out of the room.

"Stay here, I'm going to help her." I said to them.

They nodded, still terrified as I jumped over the salt line in the doorway and ran to the basement door.

The table near the door Jae had tried to break the window with flew at me and I ducked under it as I got to the door and ran down the stairs, Jae was unconscious at the bottom, her head had been bleeding but was now healed as she lay on her back at the bottom of the stairs.

I got to her and knelt next to her, "Jae, come on." I said as I shook her shoulder.

She stirred and opened her eyes a little.

"Jae! We have to go!" I said loudly.

Her eyes opened fully as she shot to sit up, taking my arm and pushing me down as the fire axe Jae had brought in flew at my back, hitting Jae in the shoulder, just grazing her as she winced, holding me down.

She grabbed me and hauled me to my feet, pushing me up the stairs as she ran after me.

We got to the top and I jumped over the salt line in the kitchen again as I turned to help Jae over.

She was almost in the kitchen when the fire axe came barrelling up the stairs, flying through the air and hitting her in the back, burying itself deep.

Jae cried out as Mrs. Lane screamed.

Jae fell over the line of salt, just barley missing it as I caught her arm, holding her up as she leaned over, leaning into me.

I helped Jae stumble to one of the kitchen table chairs as the Lane family stared in shock and terror at the axe in her back.

"Jae, are you alright?" I asked.

She nodded as she groaned in pain and moved her hand to her back, taking the handle of the axe and yanking it out hard as she cursed under her breath and put a hand to the deep cut in her back as it started to heal.

She stood up as she shrugged her grey coat off and set it on the chair she'd been sitting on.

The Lane family now looked completely horrified at how she was still alive.

"How are you still alive?" Mr. Lane asked breathlessly.

"She's immortal." I said.

She nodded as she held her hand to her back to keep the wound closed as it healed.

"Immortal? What?" Carson, the son to the Lane's asked.

Jae looked at all of them.

"It means I heal quickly and I can't die... We aren't FBI, we're hunters. We kill things like the poltergeist here in your home." Jae explained.

"So it's a ghost?" Mrs. Lane asked.

"It's a poltergeist, it is a very powerful spirit that seeks attention to gain more power, and it's been keeping you here and terrifying you so it can keep your attention and therefore continue to hold power over you." Jae said.

"So like the movie?" Carson asked.

"Not exactly." Jae said. "I promise you I'll explain everything when we kill this thing, but first you have to help me... Is there any history with your home, was it passed down to you by family members or built on a grave, or anything?" She asked.