||72||

I was about five minutes into the paperwork when the boyish girl next to me started complaining about her shitty life.

Just ignore her and finish off this work and then find that dumbass Aki and go home.

But she kept complaining and I found I couldn't ignore it so I moved to the seat next to hers and ordered a glass of water for her and pulled the beer bottle from her hands.

"I'll listen to you, just sober up a bit and be a bit quieter," I told her, she gave me a confused look before smiling and nodding.

This woman is going to cause me trouble, I can already tell.

She had really untamed black hair and her eyes were bright green almost like a cats. Her face was littered with freckles and a couple scars and scratches.

But she started to explain messily.

Apparently she was to get married to someone but she got scared and abandoned their son and her ring and ran away, but it turned out she was pregnant and last year she had the other son but she's struggling to look after him because he looks so much like the man she left behind.

But then she said something that pissed me off.

"I abandoned my son, left him with my cousin," she told me. I glared at her and grabbed my paperwork and her wrist.

"Give me a room," I looked to the bartender, he nodded and tossed me a key, I dragged her through the bar and into the back up to the second floor and into the room, "sleep. Then tomorrow we'll talk when you have a straight mind."

Then I'll take you to your son.

She gave me a questionable look.

"Just because I'm drunk doesn't mean you can have your way with me," she taunted as I pushed her onto the bed. I turned away and sat on the windowsill, giving her a weird look.

"I'm gay," I told her, "and I already love someone. I don't need some drunk socially depressed woman to make me happy."

"Harsh," she muttered.

"Just go to sleep," I sighed as I continued my work.

I finished it around 12am and grabbed one of the books from the bookshelf and started reading it.

When it reached 5am, I rang Katsuro and told him I wouldn't be in work today.

8am finally came around and the woman woke up.

"You're finally awake," I commented as she sat up, rubbing her eyes and yawning, "now shall we talk?"

She gave me a weird look before nodding, starting with her name: Kaede Kita.

After that, I got a more detailed version of what she'd told me last night.

Sighing, I walked over and knelt on the floor in front of her.

"Listen, you shouldn't abandon your son like that," I told her, "sure sometimes it'll be hard, but you shouldn't just abandon him. He doesn't deserve that and won't understand why you've abandoned him."

I watched as tears bubbled up in her eyes and she began crying.

"Come on," I stood up and offered her my hand, "I'll take you to him. After this, you have to promise me that you'll never abandon him again and if you truly love the man you left, then I will help you return to him and I'll help you with your son. But... Just promise you won't abandon him."

You're lucky to have children.

You're lucky to have them with someone you love... Even if you don't live with that person.

I can't have that. So you're lucky you can.

"Thank you," she sobbed, "What's your name?"

"I'm--" I hesitated for a moment before sighing, "y/n. I'm y/n."

There's a good chance she'll recognise me if I tell her my real name then it'll seem like I'm helping her out of charity instead of actual goodwill.

We left the room and I shot money and the room key at the bartender, he smiled and waved as we left.

The car ride was quiet other than the occasional direction that was spoken.

We ended up on the outskirts of the city and in a small town area.

"This one here," she pointed to a two story house with a garden littered with children's toys and flowers that were impressively still alive.

"I'll wait for you here," I told her as she got out the car, I got out too and leaned on the side as I watched her walk down the path and to the doorway. I noticed her hesitation before she knocked. The door swung open and a beautiful woman with flowing brown locks walked out before smiling and going back in the house. Next thing, a child looking nothing like Kaede besides his eyes wobbled out. She dropped down and hugged him, crying for the second time today.

I smiled at the sight and then realised I didn't have a kids seat in my car.

"I should be able to borrow one, right?" I muttered, "I don't think it's legal to drive with a passenger holding an infant."

Last thing I need to is be in jail because I apparently don't know how to drive safely.

"y/n!" Kaede called me a few moments later, she was walking over with bags on her shoulders and a kids seat in her hand.

Thank the lord.

I held her son while she set the seat up.

"His name is Takano," she told me.

"He's cute, unlike you," I replied as I watched him grab my index finger.

"Are you always this rude?" she asked, I stuck my tongue out at her and put Takano into the car seat.

"Maybe," I replied, "come on. I'll drive you home. We can talk there."

She climbed into the passenger seat and I started driving.

"Thank you," she suddenly said.

"For what?" I asked.

"For everything you're doing right now. You don't have to. I'm just a stranger..." she replied.

"I'm not doing it for you," I told her, "I'm doing it for your son."

She gave me a confused look but I just focused on the road, signalling the conversation was over.