Jerome XXVI

There were many things that Jerome Clarke expected on Thursday mornings, pancakes by Vera, Alfie packing a second bag for his therapy appointment after classes, the arrival of a new copy of Investors Weekly, and a good morning text from Poppy. What was not expected was a large photo of Vera across the school news website (which Mara still hadn't named) and the angry headline: Vera Devenish, Liar Exposed. What had Mara gotten herself into now!

Breakfast was understandably tense as their housemother had placed breakfast on the table and then retreated to Victor's office. Jerome's customary seat next to Liliana provided a clear line of sight to Mara's self-righteous face. She clearly believed what she had written and wouldn't back down from it any time soon.

Which was apparently something that Fabian even after all these years hadn't learned. "Mara how could you write this?"

"Write what?" Asked Amber pouring herself another cup of tea. Fabian passed the blonde his phone so that she could see the article.

"What if they close down the school site because of what you wrote?"

"Chill man!" argued Eddie. "The story was off the chain. It had to come out".

"Not everything needs to be written. This seems like an issue that would have been better solved by going to Mr. Sweet" added Liliana.

"Yeah Mara. You absolutely destroyed her. And it's on the internet. If this turns out to be false, how is the poor woman ever expected to get another job!" exclaimed Amber.

Pushing her chair back, Mara jumped to her feet, "I stand by everything I wrote, and I am going to prove it!". Unfortunately for her, Victor entered the dining room in time to hear her declaration. The man was scary enough without knowing all that Jerome did about his murderous tendencies.

"There is to be a hearing tomorrow," announced their glowering head of house. "To ascertain the legitimacy or otherwise of a story which has appeared on the school website" yikes Mara was in big trouble! "I am instructing all Anubis house residents to attend and hear the truth" with a final glare at Mara, Victor headed back upstairs.

"Sorry Mara" comforted Fabian.

"Why a public hearing though?" questioned Eddie, "Is that how you guys normally handle discipline issues?".

"No, it should have just been a meeting with Victor, Vera, Mara and Mr. Sweet. Probably Mrs. Andrews as well since she is in charge of the website" explained Amber

"Well we are all behind you though and it will be ok" declared Patricia. With their breakfast ruined by the news, Jerome and the rest of the students hurried to finish their food and head off to school.

*Tears of Gold – Tears of Gold – Tears of Gold*

Even with Mara's article drama, Jerome knew he had to focus up and find a new ping pong partner, which included telling Alfie he was out. Jerome had put it off for as long as he could, hoping to spare Alfie's feelings, but they now had to face the music. Jerome had to win back the Frobisher shield to break the curse on his father and unfortunately Alfie was not a partner who could help him win.