Quarantine - Part 4

Author's Note: This wasn't requested, but I saw Chris and Scott's interview/game with Jimmy Fallon for the millionth time and figured why not use it for a part 4? Enjoy!

***

Y/N looked deep into Chris' eyes. His hand held her firmly as they sat in front of each other on the sofa. He was searching her eyes for any hint that she might change her mind. He didn't find any. He took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. "Are you sure this is the way we should do it?"

Y/N nodded firmly. "It's bound to get out sooner or later. Unfortunately, your publicist is right. It's better people hear it from you on your terms. Not some sleazy tabloid like TMZ. So, why not do it with someone you not only like, but trust completely?"

"Okay, let me make the call." Chris grabbed his phone from the coffee table. He got up and walked to the French doors that would lead him to his backyard, where he saw Dodger run around the yard chasing a squirrel. Looking at his phone, his thumb moved across his screen swiftly before pressing the call button. Chris' heart thundered against his chest with each ring. His muscles relaxed the moment he felt Y/N's arms wrap around his waist and leaned her head in between his shoulder blades.

"Hey! Chris!" The person on the other line answered excitedly. "I'm about to tape tonight's show. What's up?"

"Jimmy, I need a small favor."

"Of course, Bud, tell me what you need."

***

"Tonight, we have a very special surprise guest for y'all. He's a really good friend of mine. From Boston, please welcome Chris Evans!" Jimmy Fallon said through Chris' laptop screen.

Chris smiled at the small camera on top of the laptop screen. "Hey, Jimmy. Thanks for having me on, especially on such a short notice."

Sitting on the opposite side of the couch, Y/N smiled as she watched Chris be so natural and funny talking to Jimmy. Just moments ago when Chris was setting up the Zoom call to record their segment for tonight's episode, Y/N was freaking out. Of course, she didn't tell Chris. If she did, she was sure Chris would cancel the whole thing. This wasn't her world. She was never one to want to be in the spotlight. Instead, she loved watching Chris acting and everything that came with it. She stood by his side and supported him. It was crazy to think nearly two years ago she moved in next door and she was just his friendly neighbor.

"When we come back, we're gonna play a game," Jimmy said.

Chris chuckled nervously. "Can't wait."

They both paused for a second, waiting for the record button to turn off. Then, Jimmy said, "are you ready?"

Chris looked over to Y/N who nodded at him. She scooted a little closer to him, but was still out of the shot as Jimmy didn't know she was the reason Chris called Jimmy to be on the show. Chris looked back at Jimmy, "Ready."

"Okay, we're going in 3, 2, ..." the director spoke over the speaker and suddenly the record button was back on.

"And we're back with my buddy, Chris," Jimmy said. "We're a year into this pandemic, how's life? Do you go out? Or do you stay home and quarantine?"

"I leave the house for work. Occasionally I'll go visit Ma and my sisters. I gotta see the kiddos. But it's hard," he sighed. "I take all the precautions I'm supposed to. I wear my mask and I social distance. It's harder now that I'm at work and Y/N's at work. It's not so easy to just get up and go see my family more because we interact with more people at work."

Y/N's heart dropped to her stomach. She knew this was the plan all along, but she was still nervous. She was up next. This would be her first time doing anything like this.