Marry Me - Part 4

The room was filled with tension. So much, it couldn't be cut with a knife. Lisa slowly walked back and forth in front of the dining room table, where her sons and her now daughter-in-law and son-in-law sat, all with their left hands on top of the table. Their wedding band rings on full display for her to see.

They had all agreed to come over for dinner immediately after their Vegas trip. As much as they were all scared the news would break Lisa's heart, they all knew it was better to give her the news immediately instead of later.

Except, no one knew what she was thinking once they told her about their weddings in Vegas. She simply asked them to place their left hands on the table. She stood up from her chair and stared at all four wedding bands in front of her. No matter how much she looked back and forth between each ring, she couldn't believe it.

The four "kids" watched Lisa slowly walk back and forth in front of them. Y/N knew she was upset. It was no secret. She knew if her unborn children had done what she and Chris did to Lisa, she would be devastated. Chris believed she was in shock and trying to process this new information. Although Lisa had never been an angry person, Scott was waiting for the other shoe to fall off and watch the roof blow off when Lisa started yelling. And, Steve was trying to think what he could say or do to fix everything.

Finally, Lisa stopped. She pulled out a chair and sat down before her eyes filled up with tears.

"Ma," Chris and Scott said at the same time, completely heartbroken to see their mother crying. Chris got up from his seat, ready to comfort his mother and apologize profusely.

"No," she sniffled and shook her head. Chris sat back in his seat. Y/N reached for his hand underneath the table. "I just don't understand why," Lisa started. "Since the day you two were born, I've wanted nothing more than to be at your wedding. Scott, when you came out, I was thrilled! I couldn't wait to attend your wedding," she looked at Scott, who now had tears of guilt in his eyes. "And, Chris, the day you brought Y/N home for Christmas for the first time, I saw the look in your eyes and I knew she was going to be my daughter-in-law."

Y/N's eyes welled up, remembering that night. She was completely nervous. She had no idea if Chris' family would like her. She's come so far since that night. She's come to love and accepted his family as her own and she felt extremely guilty for even suggesting getting married in Vegas knowing this would hurt Lisa.

"I just don't understand why you guys couldn't wait for me," Lisa sniffled.

Y/N stood up and went over to the coat rack by the door. She opened her purse and pulled out a small envelope. She walked back to the kitchen and sat next to Lisa. She took a deep breath and reached for Lisa's hand. "I knew in the back of mind, this would hurt you."

"Then-"

"And, if my children had done this to me, I would also be heartbroken," she interrupted Lisa. Normally, she would never interrupt her mother-in-law, but she was hoping she would understand Y/N was trying to make a point. "However, if he or she had a good reason like me and Chris did, I would be a little bit understanding."

Y/N slowly slid the envelope to Lisa. Lisa hesitated for a second. She looked into her daughter-in-law's eyes, and she saw something she hadn't seen before. Y/N was talking from one mother to another. Lisa's eyes welled up with more tears as she opened up the envelope. Her fingers shook as she took out the sonogram photos.

"I knew I was pregnant. I told Chris I wanted to get married because I wanted to be husband and wife before we became a family. So, if you're gonna be mad, be mad at me. Your son did want you there. I also knew how important it was for you to be there," Y/N took a deep breath. "But, I had to do what I think it's right for my family."

Lisa finally looked up from the black and white photos and at Y/N with a small smile on her face. "Twins?" She whispered. Y/N nodded as she bit her bottom lip. "All his life," Lisa grabbed Y/N's hand and then looked at Chris for a second. "He wanted to be a father. He wanted to have a big loving family, because he loved ours so much." Lisa sniffled. "Nothing makes me happier than you giving him his dream, his own beautiful family."

Y/N let out a chuckle in between her soft sobs. She leaned in and hugged Lisa tight. She felt a huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders knowing Lisa forgave them. Chris got up from his chair to hug the two most important women in his life as he too had tears in his eyes.

Lisa pulled back and cupped Chris' cheek. "My baby boy is having twins." She laughed. "I'm so excited for you two!"

"We're having a baby too!" Scott shouted.

Lisa rolled her eyes before looking at her other son, who she was still slightly mad at. "Let me see your sonogram."

Steve snorted and said under his breath for only Scott to hear, "nice try."

Scott shrugged. "She forgave them for it. It was worth a shot."