House Decorating

Day 3 of Fic-Mas: Decorating the House and the Tree

"That's the last of it," Chris grunted as he placed the last heavy box on the living room floor. He let out a sigh of exhaustion as he plopped down on the couch.

"Oh, no, sir!" Y/N grabbed his hands and tried her best to get him off the sofa, but failed miserably. "Come on, you have to help me decorate the house."

"Just give me a minute, hon, I just brought down 10 boxes from the attic. Why don't you open them? That way you know what's in each box."

"No need to," she turned one of the boxes around. "Each box is labeled. Thanks to the awesome label maker you got me last Christmas," she smiled widely, taking pride in her organizing skills.

"I'm not at all surprised," Chris smirked at her and leaned forward to kiss her. "I don't know what I would do without you and your organization."

"You don't ever have to," she pecked his lips once more. "Now, let's get to work."

"No, not yet." Y/N was about to protest, when Chris lifted his finger, signaling to wait a second. After messing with his phone for a few seconds, a Christmas playlist was playing through the house speakers. "Now, we can get started."

Y/N opened up the Garland box and gave Chris the garlands that included lights. Chris got on the ladder to hang the garland around the front door frame and around the entrance to the living room. Y/N wrapped garlands around the stairs railing and on top of the fireplace, along with cute Christmas Disney figurines.

Y/N held on to the tree as Chris laid down on the floor, tightened the Christmas tree stand bolts. Once done, Chris began untangling the lights as Y/N hung the stockings on the fireplace. One for Chris, Y/N, and Dodger, each with their first initial sewn on.

For the kitchen, she took a pair of Christmas towels to hang on the oven handle and changed the plate mats to a buffalo plaid print. Chris hung white lights around the big window in front of the kitchen nook before hanging small wreaths on each cabinet door. By the stove, Y/N set up a chocolate station. She filled up a snowman tier tray stand with mason jars, each with a label of their own: marshmallows, chocolate chips, peppermint, and cocoa powder.

Next, they quickly did the bedrooms. It wasn't too much. They changed their bedsheets to red - Chris refuses buffalo plaid sheets after everyone literally wore nothing but buffalo plaid all last winter - and the guest bedroom sheets to green with a couple of decorative pillows. Chris added a reindeer stuffed toy on Dodger's bed.

Lastly, Chris and Y/N worked putting white lights around their 12-foot tree. Afterwards, they hung the simple ornaments first. Then, they each hung their own ornaments they gave each other each Christmas spent together, a tradition they started their first year dating nearly 10 years ago.

Y/N sat down on the sofa with a huge smile on her face. Although it took all day, she was very pleased with the turnout. The house looked beautiful and magical. She was truly thankful to have such a wonder house to call home with her lifetime partner. She unfolded a blanket as Chris came in with two cups of hot chocolate.

"That cocoa bar is amazing!" Chris smiled as he sat down next to Y/N before he gave her a Frosty mug. "Careful, it's hot, babe."

"Thank you for today," she leaned in and kissed his cheek.

"Thank you for loving Christmas as much as I do," he leaned in to kiss her but paused for a second, "and your amazing organization skills because before you I didn't know where I had things."

"I knew you loved the organizer in me," she giggled, earning a chuckle from Chris.