Doggie Door

Author's Note: You know the drill. Let me know what you think!

***

Moving from Texas to Boston was slightly overwhelming for Y/N as she had never left her home state before. However, she knew it was the right decision to do when she landed her dream job at Mass General as the Chief of Pediatric Surgery. Within a week, she packed everything in boxes, drove across the country with her fur baby, Phoebe.

It's her third day in her new home. The movers had arrived yesterday and managed to help her set up and place all the heavy furniture where she wanted. All that was left to do was unpack her boxes and turn the house into her new home.

She grabbed a box labeled dishes from the garage and brought it to the kitchen. She turned around and noticed Phoebe's dog tags on her collar weren't clinging as she walked. Phoebe wasn't a lazy beagle. She was active and always on Y/N's heels.

"Phoebe?!" She looked around the half empty house and couldn't find her. "Baby, now is not the time to play games. Where are you?" She called out again before she noticed she didn't properly close the door that led to the garage, which was also open.

"Damn it!" She ran outside to the middle of the street. "Phoebe?!" She yelled. She jogged down the street calling out her name until she reached the deadend at the end of the street. Her eyes began to well up at the thought she lost her fur baby of 5 years.

"Phoebe?" She called out once more in front of her house.

"Excuse me?" Y/N turned around to see a handsome man walking towards her with Phoebe trailing behind him and another dog. Y/N rushed towards Phoebe and immediately kneeled down to hug her.

"I'm guessing this is your Phoebe?" Her neighbor chuckled as Phoebe licked Y/N's face.

"Yes, thank you so much," she stood up. "I got worried. I'm not familiar with the neighborhood just yet and neither is Phoebe."

"I was washing my car and she came on over and started playing with Dodger," she looked down to see his dog smelling and sniffing Phoebe. Phoebe licked his face before they started running around in the front yard. "I guess they like each other," he smiled at the two dogs in front of him before he turned to look at her.

His smile was gorgeous. Infectious. She couldn't help but smile back at him as she responded, "I guess so."

"I'm Chris," he extended her hand for a handshake.

"Yes, I know who you are. You're Captain America. I'm Y/N," she smiled as she took his hand in hers. "It's hard not to know who you are when you work with a bunch of kids."

"Ah," he nodded. "So, you're a teacher."

"Actually, no. I just got the job as the Chief of Pediatric Surgery at Mass General."

"Oh, wow. That's amazing. It's funny," he chuckled.

"What is?"

"I work with a charity that helps with the kids and family at Mass Gen," he explained.

"Really? I'd love to hear more about it." She hoped he took the bait. She knew he was attractive. The guy was practically a Greek God. She only hoped he was open to the possibility of getting to know her just as much as she wanted to get to know him.

"How about over dinner sometime?" He asked with a sly grin.

YES! She mentally screamed.

"I'd like that. Well, you know where I live," she pointed at her house. She mentally face palm at herself knowing she probably looked like an idiot pointing out with her thumb like she's hitchhiking.