Let Go Of My Heart

Warning: Heartbreak with a painful goodbye.

Author's Note: Inspired by 98 Degrees song, "Let Go Of My Heart". I do not own the music or lyrics, just this one shot.

I wrote this in one go. I was SO inspired to write this and get this up as soon as possible. And, because of that, I didn't go back to edit and check for errors. Sorry, not sorry, lol. Enjoy!

***

Y/N bursted out laughing at a terrible dad joke her date made. Although it was a bad one, it was still quite hilarious. After calming herself down and wiping the tears from the corner of her eyes, she looked back at her date, who was sitting across the table. He had an awe look in his eyes, his smile was genuine. Y/N realized at that moment, it had been a while since someone looked at her like that. Hell, now looking back at it, no one hadn't made her laugh and smile in months.

"I'm so happy you're here with me," her date's hand slid across the table to hold her hand. His thumb brushed against her knuckles.

Her eyes flickered down to the movement. It's not familiar. It's not what she's used to. Her fingers slipped in between his and immediately she knew he wasn't the one. It didn't feel right. Like the pieces of the puzzle didn't fit. She knew she shouldn't but she was still willing to try. Still give him a chance. Then maybe she would come close to falling in love with him.

"I had a great time," she tried her best to smile.

"Would you like to go out again sometime?" He asked, hopeful.

Y/N was about to answer when her phone rang. "I'm so sorry," she immediately apologized as she tried to find her phone in her big purse. The phone kept ringing and getting louder after each ring. She was starting to get embarrassed as people were starting to look at her. She mentally cursed herself for bringing a big purse.

When her hand felt the phone, she immediately pulled it out, and answered the phone without looking because she was too busy apologizing to everyone around her including her date.

"Hello?" Y/N said.

"Hi, baby." Her heart dropped to her stomach. "I'm surprised you picked up. I wanted to let you know I'm home and I want to see you. I miss you."

She closed her eyes. Hearing his voice brought an unbearable pain to her heart. She hadn't heard it in months. And deep down, as much as she missed him too, she didn't want to hear the same old voice. Because it drew her in every time.

She exhaled and opened her eyes. "Sorry. Wrong number." She immediately hung up. She turned her phone off to silence before tossing it back into her big purse.

"Sorry, about that," Y/N apologized to her date.

Her date's smile faltered almost as if he knew something wrong had just happened. "Is everything alright?"

She tried her best to give him a smile and she'd hoped he would believe it when she said, "yes and I would love to go with you again."

Her date settled the bill and walked her to her car. Although Y/N was trying to move on, she wasn't ready for a kiss after the first date. She was grateful he ended the first date with a goodbye kiss on her cheek. He promised to call her tomorrow as he closed the car door once Y/N got in. She wished him a goodnight before she drove home. At least that was the plan.

Y/N wasn't planning on making a detour, especially to a place she swore she'd never go back to ever again. But she found herself hesitating in her car, with the engine off, and staring at the house in front of her.

She was about to snap out of it and head back home when the front porch light turned on. The front door opened and she saw him standing there, waiting for her. Y/N sighed in defeat, knowing now it's too late to leave.