It's You

Chris used the key his best friend gave him a couple of years ago. Y/N had given him her key before going on a two week vacation with her family. She didn't trust anyone to bring in her mail and feed her fishes but Chris. When she returned from her trip, Chris handed her back her key, but she insisted he keep it. "It would save me from getting up and letting you in every night for dinner," she joked, making Chris chuckle.

Just like every night since then, Chris let himself in. Tonight was his turn to bring dinner. He picked up a large pizza from her favorite pizza parlor and a pack of beer on the way over. He walked towards the kitchen and placed everything down in the counter.

"Y/N?" He called out. He could hear the TV coming from her bedroom, but he didn't hear her respond back. He made his way to her bedroom and saw her door was slightly open. He knocked. Again, no response. He peeked his head through the open door and noticed Y/N was sitting on her bed. She was focused on a piece of paper in her hands, completely consumed by whatever was written on the paper.

"Hey," Chris spoke, startling her. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I called you and knocked on your door, but you didn't hear me."

"I'm sorry," Y/N quickly apologized.

"What you got there?" Chris asked as he took off his shoes and sat next to her on her bed. As she looked back down at the invitation in her hand, Chris saw her finger trace the designs on the invitation. He read the two names that were bigger than everything else written on the card, but he had no idea who the bride or groom was.

"It's an invitation," she said before she gave him the pearl white card to him. She watched him read the invitation.

"A friend from back home?" He asked after seeing the wedding was in her hometown.

"Not a friend, my ex," she finally looked up at Chris, who looked at her unsure what to say. She had never spoken to Chris about her ex. She cleared her throat. "He was the one I thought I was going to marry someday."

Chris put the invitation down. "Why would he send you an invitation?"

Y/N shoulders dropped as she let out a deep sigh. "It's a long story."

"I got time," he said as he leaned back and made himself comfortable on her bed. He knew judging by the look on her face, it was going to be a hard story to tell. She would definitely need some comfort as she opened old wounds, and Chris would be there for her. He stretched out his arms. She took his invitation and leaned against his chest. She made herself comfortable and draped her arm over his torso. Chris immediately wrapped his arms around her, one of his hands rubbing up and down her arm.

"He dumped me four years ago," she started to explain. "Without any explanation. He was my best friend-"

"Hey," Chris pretended to sound hurt. "I thought I was your best friend."

She looked up and smiled at him. "You are, and you have been since I moved to LA, but I had a life before I met you."

"Is that why you moved to LA? Because of him?"

She nodded. "It hurt too much to see him around. So, I packed up all my stuff and moved out here."

"I'm glad you did, otherwise I wouldn't have met you," he said as he kissed the top of her head.

"At the time, I didn't understand how I could hate someone I was still in love with," she explained. "It was weird. I thought I was never going to get over him because he was my first love. We were best friends first. We knew each other our entire lives as our dad's were best friends. We started dating our freshman year in high school, and he broke up with me our senior year in college."