64-You ready

Lita took the last step, now standing on top of a hill. Her cloak was being pulled behind her by the wind. Colby walked up on one side, Conner came on the other.

Colby pulled out the map from his pocket squinting ahead.

"How far?" Conner asked breathlessly.

The group had been hiking for almost an hour.

"We're supposed to be there by now." Ace complained looking around seeing noting but white.

"Will both of you just shut up?" Colby snapped. He unrolled the map studying it.

Lita peeked over his shoulder seeing the drawn lines.

"This doesn't make sense." Colby muttered. Lita furrowed her eyebrows toward him.

"What do you mean? Its a mile or so up ahead." Colby looked over to her.

"Thats not..." He trailed off looking from the map to ahead of them. He clenched his jaw then shoved the map into Litas chest.

"You do it." He stormed off walked ahead. Lita looked to Conner seeing he had the same look spread on his face.

"Who got his panties in a twist?" Lita asked sliding down the hill.

Lita stomped through the snow trying her best to keep hold of the map.

Snow crunched under their feet. Footprints were left behind them. All of their faces were rosy, snow dotted their hair.

Lita blocked the blaring sun looking through the forest of trees down to the map. If she was reading it correctly it should be right in the trees.

"It should be up here." The girl said lowering her hand. Conner looked over her shoulder to the trees.

"I think you're right." He agreed. Colby huffed them started forward stopping abruptly.

"What is it?" Ace asked hesitantly. Colby held up his hand trying to listen to their surroundings.

A crack.

Litas head snapped to her left where trees hid whatever was there.

"Somethings here." She whispered. Her eyes narrowed as she looked into the trees.

Out of instinct her hand went to the sword on her hip. The group all stood behind her waiting.

A whimper.

Litas face contorted in confusion.

"Did something just whimper?" She asked lowly. Conner nodded slowly.

Another whimper.

Lita took a brave step forward only to have a hand latch onto her wrist. Colby was glaring at her.

"What are you doing?" He hissed. She scoffed ripping her hand from his grasp.

"Something could be hurt." She turned back around and slowly walked into the trees.

The sun disappeared within the leaves. Looking down to the floor she saw paw prints, then blood.

"What happened?" She asked herself.

"Nothing good." She jumped at Aces voice. She sighed looking back up seeing a blur.

She squinted hearing another whimper. She walked forward peeking around a tree. She gasped quietly at the sight of a large dead wolf. Its pup was whimpering and pushing at its fur.

Footsteps neared behind her all stopping at the sight.

"A direwolf." Conner breathed out.

"Those are extinct." Colby said shaking his head.