No.7-Michael

Sept 2013
for Joyce, awwwcake on IG :))

Deep breaths.

You were on the way to your boyfriend Michael's parent's house to meet his family for the first time.

You had met his parents briefly a few times but you'd never actually talked to them and by the sounds of what Michael was describing, it was like a family reunion going on!!

Your hands gripped the steering wheel as you drove along the dark highway, All Time Low blasting out your speakers.

You were wearing a black vest, a red tartan mini skirt with black nylon tights and Doc Martens. It was an outfit that had taken you days to plan so you hoped it was at least half decent.

After another ten minutes driving, you arrived at Michael's. you parked on the road by his house and walked up the drive, bottle of wine that you found in the fridge in hand.

Michael opened the door and greeted you with a bone crushing hug. He lead you through to the living room, where all his family were sitting.

You were introduced to all of them and they were all really friendly and likeable, just like Michael himself. His parents weren't there, but they were probably cooking and it smelled absolutely amazing!!

After talking to and getting to know all of his aunts and uncles and cousins, you were called through to the dining room and the whole family sat down to eat. Suddenly, the whole situation felt pretty formal and you felt a lot more nervous.

Michael could sense how anxious you were to make a good impression so he gave your thigh a reassuring squeeze underneath the table.

"So, Joyce." Michael's dad started. "What are you studying at school?"

Oh god. You had a mouth full of food and the whole family was now staring at you. You swallowed and replied.

"Art, music, English and Biology."

Michael's dad nodded, as if you were taking a test and had just got the right answer.

Normal conversation and compliments about the meal began again until Michael's American aunt asked another question.

"Michael, how did you and Joyce first meet??"

You and Michael exchanged glances and laughed, the situation replaying through your minds.

"I always tell everyone." Michael began, "but they never believe me! But basically what happened was it was at school, at the start of the year, so about three months ago. Joyce was the new girl, and she was in my class. On the first day, she looked kind of lonely so me, Calum and Luke went up to her and started talking. I had told the boys, in passing, that I thought she was really gorgeous, so they made some great scene about having to go and meet someone, leaving me and Joyce alone. Seem as we were both so awkward, we just kind of looked at the ground and mumbled for a bit, until the bell rang and we had to sprint to music together. In music we were assigned partner work and Calum and Luke paired up all too quickly, leaving us two alone again. I guess we just kind of talked and a few days later I got her number! It was amazing, I just thought she was way to pretty for me but hey! I guess she's just perfect."

You blushed furiously as Michael looked at you and gave you a massive smile.

The rest of the meal carried on like this and it turned out, you had no reason to be nervous. Michael's family loved you and you couldn't wait to see them again.