Drinking

Author's POV

Joker took a swig from a beer bottle. "This is stupid!" He swung the bottle against a wall and eyed Melanie's doll. He thought it was stupid that he was drinking.

He was drinking. With two children in the house. It was out of rage. Out of rage that he couldn't find Harley.

He remained silent. And after a while he apologizes even though there was no one in the room. "I'm sorry, Mel. " He kept his voice low.

He held the doll in his hands. There was a ring from his phone. He looked at who it was and it was Harley. He sighed and answered for the first time in ages.

"Puddin?"  Harley answered into the phone after a moment of silence.

He shook his head. "Harley." He said like he was disappointed.

"Yes. Is something wrong?"

"Everything is wrong!" He slammed another glass on a table.

"I know you're mad. But. I thought of a happy ending."

"What are you talking about?"

"A happy ending. Where I would have curls in my hair with a baby in my arms. We would have twins. And you would be normal. We would be normal. You would come home from work and I was a stay at home mom. But the husband I was married to...wasn't you. It wasn't you at all. It wasn't Joker. There was silence for a while.

Joker convinced himself to ask a question. "But is 'normal' really what you want?"

"No. It's not. And I know it sounds funny but Floyd's happy ending was more possible than mine."

"What was his?"  Joker smiled.

"Killing Batman! But he told me that he wouldn't do it. Because of Zoe...how's Melanie?"

"She's good."

"Has she said daddy or mommy yet?" Harley laughed.

"Nope. I don't think you're gonna miss that."  He told her.

"Hopefully I won't. Mr. J...why haven't you been answering my texts or my calls?"