Better

11k reads! Love you guys! Thanks to everyone messaging me. I love talking to you all.

And sorry this chapter took a while, it was a bit of a struggle to write but hope you enjoy! 😊

Chapter 19:

It was Friday morning, and I have never dreaded the weekend more than I did today. I knew I couldn't hide from my dad all weekend. I knew that Zayn couldn't be my protection from him. Especially since I left last night after telling him I wouldn't.

I put my hands into my jacket pockets as a cold breeze blew by me, and I shivered slightly. I couldn't stop my mind from drifting over to thinking about how warm Zayn's arms were. How warm and comfortable his bed was as well, and how I had to force myself to leave last night. I couldn't get use to that feeling. Not when things were so uncertain.

I walked into the school building, feeling a bit of warmth and feeling return to my fingers and toes. My skin seemed to burn from enduring all of the cold wind. I use to be able to suffer the cold without a problem. Use to be.

I went over to my locker, hesitating for a second as I saw Zayn waiting by it. He seemed to be looking around for me, and I couldn't tell if he would be pissed off or not. I took a deep breath before walking over to him, seeing his gaze lock on me as soon as he saw me.

"Where the hell did you go?" He asked as I stood in front of my locker. "You went home didn't you?" He pushed when I didn't answer, and I nodded slightly.

"Fuck, Liam." He groaned in frustration. "Did you get hurt? Did he hit you? Why would you do that? You fucking promised you wouldn't. Do you realize how scared I was to wake up and not see you there? Do you understand how worried I was that something bad happened to you?" He ranted off, keeping his voice low due to people around us. It irritated me a bit.

"I'm fine." I mumbled. I was just lucky that my parents were asleep and my mum was home. Who knows how late my dad would have stayed up for me if she wasn't.

Zayn watched me closely as I took off my jacket, and I knew his eyes were on my arm where the bruise was yesterday, but it was no longer visible. I hid it well.

"How often do you have bruises I can't see?" He asked, and the tone of his voice seemed to have a double meaning. I didn't like that. I didn't like the question. But I didn't even have to answer it because Zayn knew. By the way his eyes held sorrow and pain, he knew. I may have bruises on the surface, but I've never told people of the bruises underneath.

"Why did you leave?" He asked, and the many questions were irritating me. I just didn't know how to answer them all. I didn't know why he wanted to know.

"Because I couldn't stay." I simply said, closing my locker and trying to walk away. Zayn pulled me back against my locker, making a loud noise and causing people to look over at us with interest and curiosity.

Zayn seemed to notice, too, looking back at them all with angry eyes as he snapped. "What the hell are you looking at?"

They all looked away quickly, walking away from our area, and I looked up at Zayn, seeing true anger in his eyes as he watched them all leave. "Fuckers." He growled out, and I broke out of his hold.

"Why? Because they expect a show? Like you said, Zayn, people expect something from you, but you give them a reason to." I pointed out, seeing sadness fill his eyes before the anger flooded back.

"You don't know shit about me, Liam." He snarled, and I shook my head.

"You're right. I don't." I said, looking down at the books in my hand for class. "I don't know you at all. I don't think I ever will. So we can stop pretending like something is going on here because it's not."