Future

Yay! I'm updating on time! Lol it's been a while since school and theatre have broken my schedule.

Anyway, one quick, little announcement for you guys: I have 100% decided to also write a book in Zayn's POV, but I am struggling with what to title the story. The only thing in my mind seems to be Grey because it is mentioned a lot in the story, or something about birds, but I'm stuck and need help. Any title suggestions would be nice and appreciated.

Enough rambling from me. Please enjoy!!

Chapter 60:

"I want to be happy," Zayn repeated, turning back to the piano keys and staring down at them. "I'm willing to fight back, I'm ready for it, but it's so fucking hard."

I watched as his hand lifted to his face, wiping away a tear that I couldn't see when his back was to me. I didn't know what thoughts were currently going through his head or what memory he was reliving in the moment, but I knew that Zayn saying the words and admitting his struggle was a huge step for him.

I stepped closer to him until I was directly behind him. I bent down, resting my head on his shoulder and wrapping my arms around his waist. I heard him exhale slowly, his face pressing against mine with a bit of force, and I involuntarily closed my eyes, just taking it what it felt like to be like this with him.

"It's going to be hard, Zayn, but you knew that," I said, speaking in a voice that was almost a whisper. This moment felt beyond plain intimate, and I didn't want to break the atmosphere. "We all knew that, and we're ready for it. The fact that you actually want to be happy, Zayn... that's a great place to start."

    We both allowed silence to linger, so many unspoken words floating in the air, but they didn't have to be spoken. I knew everything he wanted to say in that moment, and he knew everything I would say in reply. And we both knew how we felt- about the issue at hand, about each other, about the future.

     "It didn't feel right to end it," Zayn said, and it took me a moment to realize that he was talking about his song. The way it cut off abruptly could have meant giving up to some people, but I could tell that's not what it meant to Zayn.

    "I know. I heard," I replied, moving out from behind Zayn and sitting next to him on the piano bench. I rested my head on his shoulder, and I allowed Zayn to take my hand in his, his thumb rubbing over my knuckles.

     "Ending it seemed so final, and that's not how I want my life to feel anymore. No matter how easy it is to belittle and oppress myself over my past and allow it to lead my life, I don't want to give it that power anymore. I want to open doors of opportunity and let myself feel instead of trapping my emotions in a bottle. Take all of my demons and trap them in some type of Pandora's box," He expressed ever so quietly, and his face was so close to mine that I could feel his lips move gently against my skin as he spoke.

     "Maybe the box needed to be opened," I replied, knowing that opening the box meant allowing uncontrollable evils to escape. "Maybe it's time to stop pretending that the demons don't exist and face them. Allowing them to linger in thin air is a sure way to letting them control you," I thought aloud.

     "Facing them doesn't make it any less terrifying," Zayn confessed, leaning closer to press a light, fleeting kiss to my forehead. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the short second of his soft lips on my warm skin.

     He stood up suddenly, and I sat up straight as well, watching as he walked around the piano bench to stand directly behind me. "Give me your hands," He requested, and I held my hands out, smiling a bit as he set them down gently on the piano keys.

    "I have no idea how to play this," I reminded, only remembering the few notes that he taught me for the duet song.

    "Just pick a song," He said, and I knew that he meant his songs, not just any random tune from the radio. I thought about all of his songs, but there was really only one I wanted to learn.