Chance

Happy 4th of July. Love you all!

Can't wait for new music from my boys and Dunkirk to finally come out. It's going to be great.

Here's a light chapter. ❤

Chapter 52:

"So, what did Louis have to say yesterday?" My mum asked as she sat beside me on the couch. She placed a popcorn bowl between us and set down two glasses full of ice and a bottle of soda on the coffee table. After I came home this morning, she was pretty adamant on having movie time together. It was something we use to always do together a few years ago, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it.

Besides, I did feel a bit of the embarrassment this morning after what I blurted out last night. Zayn, however, didn't dwell on it or even bring it up, and I was thankful for that. It wasn't a lie, but it was too much for me to think about at that moment.

"He wanted to talk to me about Rosewood. It's a performing arts school, and he thinks I should audition for entry in their scholarship contest," I said, wanting to brush past the subject because I still wasn't confident in any of it.

When I told Zayn that morning, he said that it was an incredible offer and that he would try for a spot as long as I tried as well. I, of course, agreed. It wasn't like music was something I didn't want to do, it was only that I knew there were so many other talented people who were going to audition. Maybe I was talented as well, but I didn't compare to a lot of people.

"Liam, that's fantastic!" My mum shouted while grabbing a handful of popcorn. I was relieved that there wasn't any butter poured over the popcorn, but I would have felt even better if my mum didn't drown it in salt.

"It is, but I don't know if I should do it," I admitted, making my mum raise an eyebrow at me, waiting until she swallowed her popcorn before speaking.

"And why is that?" She asked, moving to twist the cap off of the soda and pour some into her glass.

"They only pick five people. Five people out of the fifty who audition. So, I'm thinking that I shouldn't waste my time. I know there are very talented people out there. Zayn might get in, but I don't think I will," I admitted, looking at the TV screen that was going through movie trailers.

"So you're quitting before even starting? I have to agree with you there," My mum said without hesitation. She looked at me with a blank expression, but before I could register how much it hurt to have her see it the same way, she was speaking again.

"I'm joking, Liam. That is the worse thing you could ever do to yourself," She expressed. She set down her glass and smiled at me. "Liam, music has always been so important to you. You told me from a very young age that it was something you wanted to pursue. You'd only be letting yourself down if you didn't take this opportunity."

"That's what Louis told me. I guess I'm just scared of not being enough," I confessed, and I actually found myself thankful that my mum and I were able to have these kinds of conversations again. I use to be able to tell her anything, and I had that back now.

"Everybody feels that way at times. Everybody has that fear that they'll never be able to compare to the other people around them, but that doesn't mean you just give up. You can't give up," She said, and I enjoyed how she finally sounded like my mum again. "Especially not now. Liam, your voice is lovely, and I'm not just saying it because I'm your mum. I'm saying it because it's the truth."

She rested her hand on my shoulder as she reassured me. "And it's more than just your voice. There's actual passion in every single thing you do, and I know that passion is enough to drive you and get you far. But you cannot give up. Quitters have no substance, like a vacuum," She said, and something about her last statement made me laugh.