Beneath

Sorry this took awhile, but 6,000+ words can make up for it? :)

Chapter 22:

"Good morning. How are you feeling, sweetheart?" Zayn's aunt asked as soon as we walked into the dining room. She looked at me with such care, and I felt sorry for coming here and worrying her last night.

"I'm okay. Thanks." I said, though it was partly a lie. I was terrified of going back home. I knew my mum was probably upset that I just left; I knew she would ask me questions. I didn't want to lie to her face anymore, but I also didn't want to expose her to the horror of her marriage.

"I've almost finished making all of the pancakes. Your plates are done, and there's berries in the fridge if you want any." She informed us, and Zayn nodded, motioning for me to sit at the table while he went over to her. He kissed her on the cheek, whispering something in her ear, and then grabbed two plates. He walked over to me, setting the plate down in front of me.

"Do you want any berries, Liam?" He asked, and I could hear the hope in his tone. It was a hope that I would ask for some, that I'd magically be able to eat everything that I was offered. It was a useless hope.

"No thank you." I whispered, wanting to cry from shame as Zayn sighed and nodded, leaving to go and get some berries for himself. I stared down at my plate, the fluffy pancakes reminding me of my childhood, when everything was so calm and simple. Before I knew what true pain was.

I watched as the thick syrup made clumps at the sides of the pancakes, sliding down the stack and making my stomach twist in displeasure. All of the butter and fat and unhealthiness made me want to push the plate away and leave, but before I could, Zayn was sitting at my size with a carton of blackberries and two cups of orange juice. His aunt sat across from us, her own plate of food and a cup of coffee in her hands.

"Maybe Zayn could show you the music room or the garden after you've finished eating." She suggested, taking a sip of coffee before setting it down and cutting up her pancakes. I watched as the syrup stuck between the cut off piece and the rest of the pancake. It seemed to try to cling onto itself before it lost a part of it.

I looked down at my plate of food, feeling Zayn's gaze on me, and I noticed he hasn't even begun eating. I saw his aunt look up at us with a questioning look, and Zayn only shook his head at her before leaning in to me.

"Please eat, Liam." He pleaded gently, and the shame and guilt filled me up again. I felt myself shaking as I tried to hold myself together infront of his aunt. I didn't want anyone else to know my secret.

"I-I c-can't, Zayn. It's too hard." I mumbled out, not looking away from the plate of food that seemed to mock and taunt me.

"Look at me." He said, lifting his hand to my face. "Please look at me, princess." He whispered, and I turned to him, seeing so much pain in his eyes, and I knew it was because of me. Because, as much as I denied it, as much as he denied it, he truly cared. "Just one bite, yeah? One bite at a time. You can do this. I know you can."

I looked back down at the plate, ignoring the way his aunt looked at me in worry. I didn't want that pity. I didn't need it.

I picked up my fork and swallowed thickly before cutting into the pancake, pushing myself to continue my actions as the syrup seemed to ooze into the holes I was making. I finally cut off a piece, took a deep breath, and pulled it off of the fork and into my mouth.

I fought myself to keep it in, to not spit it out or shove my finger down my throat as I swallowed it. I saw Zayn's aunt look back down at her plate, chopping off another piece, and butterflies erupted in my stomach as Zayn pressed a kiss to the bit of my neck that was showing before resting his forehead on the side of my head. I felt the smile on his lips as he whispered "I'm proud of you."