Sacrifice

There are only three chapters left, guys! The thought of it gives me anxiety, but I'll still do my best to enjoy writing those final three chapters.

Warning: This chapter may contain certain topics that may be triggering to some readers just because of the anxiety and worry that accompanies the thoughts.

I love you all, and I am forever thankful for all of the love and support. You guys keep me motivated, happy, and humble when I need all of that the most. And I appreciate it to no end. ❤❤

Chapter 101:

The last letter came in the mail. The final letter from the several colleges Zayn and I auditioned for. We were about to find out which schools we had the opportunity to attend.

We had seven envelopes, and we haven't opened a single one because we wanted to wait until we had all of them and open them together.

We sat down on Zayn's bed, facing each other with the letters in front of us. I think we were both nervous and anticipated. There were schools we both wanted to go to, but there were also schools we may not be able to get into.

"Which on first?" Zayn questioned, and I picked up the London College of Music letter since I knew we both had a pretty good chance of being accepted. The whole reason we auditioned was because we got offered scholarships specific to that school.

"Same time?" He questioned, and I nodded. "One, two, three," Zayn counted, and then we opened our separate letters. I quickly read over mine before looking up at Zayn with a raised eyebrow. "I'm in."

"Me, too," I announced, seeing the blinding smile that appeared on Zayn's face at the news. We set the letters aside, and then Zayn held up the letter for Leeds. I grabbed mine as well and took a deep breath.

We both opened them at the same time again, and we were both accepted once again. It felt unusual to have options for where I wanted to go because I never really put much thought into any of it. Until now.

"Berklee," I stated, grabbing the next envelope in my stack, and Zayn grabbed his identical one. "Go," I stated before we both opened our envelopes.

I read over the letter and felt a small wave of disappointment wash over me. "I'm out," I said, looking over at Zayn for a moment. He had a hesitant look on his face, and I knew what that look meant. It was the same look he had when he was accepted into Rosewood and I was denied.

"Zayn, you can tell me when you're accepted. Tell me the truth. I won't get mad," I encouraged. I didn't want Zayn to feel like he always had to be cautious around me. I wanted him to be able to celebrate his own achievements, regardless of my own. "You got in, didn't you?"

"Yeah," He sighed out, offering a small smile before setting the letter down. "Yeah, I did."

"Well, you should be proud," I stated, and Zayn's smile got a little brighter, more real, at my statement. "Guildhall," I said next, grabbing the next envelope.

We both opened ours, and I felt a bit better as I read the words of acceptance. "I'm in," I informed, and Zayn shrugged.

"I'm out," He informed, and I was shocked. I didn't think Zayn could ever be turned away from a school. He was more talented than I was in every way. It had to be a misunderstanding or a joke.

"I don't think I did my best in that audition tape. I was really tired, after all," He excused before tossing the letter aside and picking up his letter for the Conservatoire de Paris.

I grabbed mine as well, already knowing what information the letter would contain. I would most likely get denied. I don't think they were looking for someone with my direction of music. Zayn's was far more refined while mine was more mainstream. So I wasn't shocked as I read the words, "We regret to inform you that...."