Wonderwall

Okay guys, this fanfic is number 46 out of all fanfictions, and I am so thankful for that! It honestly means so much to see that it's come so far. Thank you to everyone reading and commenting and promoting. Love you all!

Also, Harry slayed on Graham Norton, and it's nice to see him so calm and happy during interviews.

I was also wondering if you guys would be interested in like a spotify playlist for this story or something. Let me know. You could also request songs on it if you do.

Now, please enjoy 😇

Chapter 41:

It was midnight when I woke up, and a small rush of panic shot through me as I realized I was alone in bed. That moment of panic quickly subsided as I heard the familiar keys of the piano playing a distance away. And I let out a sigh of relief as I laid back in bed.

I thought about everything that happened today. Zayn and I were okay. We were completely fine, and there was nothing more I could ask for. Maybe we were a little bent, but I believed him when he told me that things would be okay. I believed him when I've never believed anyone who has said that before. Because I saw truth in his eyes.

I grabbed my phone as I heard it buzz, seeing that my mum was calling me. 28 missed calls. All from her, but I didn't feel like speaking to her in that moment. I didn't feel like worrying or stressing myself out over anything. I just wanted to get away from the ruins of my home life.

I set my phone down and climbed out of bed, walking out of the room and toward the faint sound of the piano. I reached the room and slowly pushed the door open, seeing Zayn sitting at the piano. He didn't seem to be reading anything or writing anything. He was playing from memory, a song that sounded as torturous as it was to sit there and see the way Zayn was playing it. His eyes shut tight, jaw clenched, and as I walked closer, I noticed that he had tear stains on his cheeks.

But I waited, letting him play out the song and feeling every single emotion drip out. And I watched his face, the beauty of him being illuminated by the moonlight streaming through the small crack in the curtains. It was almost magical.

Then I noticed that the music was no longer sad. It was just gentle. And Zayn's face visibly relaxed upon the softness of the melody. It reminded me of something like his bird song, although it didn't end in a heavy tragedy. It ended with a sense of hope. And Zayn opened his eyes.

He looked down at the piano keys before he looked up, his eyes drifting over to me. It killed me to see the look on his face-- a sort of tired that I couldn't comprehend. Not sleepiness, and not the sort of tired that was full of sadness. It was something entirely different. Like tired from expressing so much emotion.

"What's it about?" I questioned quietly, not wanting to disturb the atmosphere of the room.

He looked back down at the keys, his fingers trailing over them lightly, and my heart pounded as a small smile filled his face. He held his hand out for me, and I took it, allowing him to pull me until I was sitting on the bench beside him.

"I think it's time for another lesson." He said, placing my fingers down on a specific set of keys. "You play those notes as soon as I do this." He said, playing a few set of notes as a demonstration, and I nodded, feeling a bit nervous about messing this up.

He started the song over. It started off like something drifting onto the shore from the ocean, gentle yet curious. Almost as if the thing was scared or hesitant. And as soon as I heard the familiar keys, I pressed my fingers down, created a higher sound that only seemed to add to the song, making it almost hauntingly beautiful.