Loki's Game

Your eyes scanned the hall and took in each and every detail of the attendants of the dance, even the ones dancing didn't get past your analysing as you searched for that one particular person.

A few times you had believed that you had found him, only for it to turn out to be someone else beneath the mask.

Each time your heart lurched a little when you thought you caught sight of him, but it was easy to see that it wasn't him once your initial excitement had waned.

It was never hard to tell who was who at these masquerades, they were always fun to attend, dressing up in lavish clothes and pretending to be someone else for the night, but the seriousness people would push on them was a little ridiculous.

"It's turning out to be quite a night, hmm?"

You glance up to the tall man who had stepped up beside you, though his eyes remained focused on the dancers over the balcony. A bubble of elation swelled in your chest at his arrival, though you had been enjoying your little seeking game.

"It is, very fascinating," you reply, unable to avert your eyes from the magnificence of his outfit for the night, "are you enjoying yourself, Loki?"

He chuckled and finally looked down at you, his blue eyes standing out magnificently behind his black feathered mask.

"Not as much as you'd think, watching these people flounce around as if they don't know who is who behind the masks gets tiresome."

"And irksome."

"That too."

"Masquerades are an odd thing, people turn so abruptly."

"It's quite astounding to behold," Loki commented with an agreeing nod, "people either feign not recognising one another to get away with more or they're merely idiots who genuinely can't tell each other apart because of mere masks and fancier dress than normal."

You laugh and look at him with a large smile, your own mask not able to hide your amusement.

"There's a 'but' there."

"Indeed there is."

"Well then," you hum merrily, taking a full glass from one of the servants as they wandered past, "do continue."

"But I don't think most here are intelligent enough to spend the night pretending to not know each other and the need for gossip is too strong."

"Your faith in others astounds me."

"You clearly haven't heard half of the conversations I have at these things, I don't even have to use my shifting abilities to confuse others."

"Shifting abilities?" You gasp after taking a sip from your drink, "but it couldn't possibly be Loki under that mask, you're not wearing black and green!"

You both share a laugh and briefly fall into a comfortable quiet, going back to watching other spectators as they danced and chatted.

Your gloved fingers drummed lightly against the rim of the glass as you held it securely on the palm of your hand, the gentle tinkle barely heard over the live music being played.

Loki stood tall beside you, his hands held behind his back as his mind no doubt worked a mile a minute as you suspected it did for most of the day.

As you watched the other attendees conversing amongst themselves a small spark of an idea jolted your brain and a coy smirk played on your lips.

"Don't you think the prospect is a bit exciting?"

"Hm?" Loki looked down at you, his curiosity lighting up his eyes.

"The thrill of 'not knowing' each other," you continue whilst turning to face him, moving one hand to rest on the banister you had been leaning on, "acting as if you were two strangers meeting up and the night taking a fun turn?"

Loki quirked an eyebrow but smirked all the same, an expression that matched yours from moments ago.

"Are you hinting towards something?"

"Perhaps I am, I certainly wouldn't be against it if you agreed to the idea."

"It would undoubtedly liven the night up."

Your stomach flipped with excitement at his reciprocation, there had been many nights when you'd hoped that this moment would happen and now that it was the excitement, perhaps mixed with the light alcohol in your drinks, was starting to make you a bit queasy.

"Are you serious about doing this?"

"It's just a bit of fun, I'll head off into the crowd and I say we should give it around thirty minutes before we find each other as strangers, what do you say?"

"Absolutely!" You cry a little too enthusiastically, though judging by Loki's laugh it wasn't off putting.

"Wonderful, thirty minutes and the hunt begins."

You could only nod and watch as he left, your heart racing at the prospect of what was about to happen.

Loki's game was about to begin.